xo, surprising notch experience - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2007, 10:21 PM   #1
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Default xo, surprising notch experience

Hi,

I just had this funny experience with a notch I use on my woofer and like to share it with you

Its a 3-way with a classical 300hz xo point

With some succes I have tried a notch on woofer in the stopband, which would mean outside the passband far from xo point

First I used a traditional paralel notch, but ended up with leaving out the cap

Then I tried to mount the cap in series with resistor ... I also tried to reverse cap and resistor, but it didnt sound as good

Picture below shows how its done now, and I am surprised how good it works ... and some funny but positive sideeffects

1. Treble much softer and sweeter

2. Midrange clearer, more accurate and relaxed

3. Bass is dry and more detailed, no masking of low midrange

4. Soundstage is more precise

To me it seem to influense and better the phase behaviour of the whole speaker, more coherent

I havent seen it used before and dont know how it works really .. but I would think that its a nice curcuit fore BSC
It seem to work much better than a standard notch, although I know that what I experience might be related only to my own speaker
Attached Images
File Type: png notch.png (12.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 10th July 2007, 10:31 PM   #2
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

With that configuration your filter will behave a little more like a shelving circuit with just the inductor and resistor.

In any case, whatever the filter does there is the side effect of how it reacts with the low pass filter. These effects will of course be unintentional and not simple to predict off the top of your head even if you estimated the impedances involved.
Old 11th July 2007, 01:08 AM   #3

Thanks, I guess by shelving you mean like in BSC ....well, it sure does sound like that ... but at the frequencies in question here, it should not make such a differense as it really do ... I can tell you, changes are not subtle, but very significant

Sure, you are absolutely right ... but then again, I judge only by the sound, and if it sounds good, then it works ... at least it is so in my world
It could be a case of luck, allthough I dont believe in that, never happens, only hard work pays off ... and ofcourse I have made adjustments to make it work ... mind you, I have worked with these speakers fore 5 years, very intensively ... I know my how my speaker works, in and out, where to push the crossover and how it sounds when I do this and that ... and you may call me crazy, that I am, but have had my fun ... and better speakers than ever

I can tell you for sure, this "notch", or whatever it is, works wonders ... why and how, I dont know
Old 11th July 2007, 01:44 AM   #4

BTW ... is it possible to simulate such low pass xo, with this correction curcuit ?
Old 11th July 2007, 02:49 AM   #5
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Absolutely. To do this with any accuracy you will want to take several measurements across the spectrum of both the impedance and the phase of the impedance.

You can feed this to a crossover simulation program and tell it your crossover components. You should also have frequency response and phase data to feed into the program.

While this will give good results, if you want to do it easier you can use a spice simulation. You would want to put a zobel across the speaker to make it's impedance look like a resistor, then use a resistor in the simulation where the speaker goes.

Hide this!Advertise here!