Shiva Help Please !!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2003, 07:56 PM   #1
mkellym is offline mkellym  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Shiva Help Please !!!

I would like some advise/help on tuning an enclosure I have built for the Shiva MKIII. The box is 6138cu inches/100.584 liters. I am using a 250w plate amp. The driver is mounted verticaly, and the port will be firing downward on to a deflection base. I will be using it mostly for movies, but want it to play music as well as possible, mostly modern jazz/classic rock/country. The room it is in is about 16' x 17' with 10' ceilings, which vault up to about 14'. There is no wall on the opposing wall of the sub. Iam not sure as to use a 3" or 4" port. I understand that if I use a 3" port, I can keep the space between the port outlet and the deflection plate a little closer? If this is true, and the 3" port will work well, then I would prefer to use the 3". My question is what freq. should i tun to (21-22hz?) and then what would be the port dimensions. Thank you for any and all help.

Sincerely,
Matt Kelly
mkellym@aol.com
Old 30th January 2003, 01:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

21" x 4" port would tune to ~20 Hz. 3" is a little small, unless you use a flared port.

Pete
Old 30th January 2003, 12:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Even 4'' will be probably too small. I always use 4'' and if I drive the sub hard, I hear the port noise.
Old 31st January 2003, 09:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Try it with no port first. I have a Tempest + 250W amp. Even in a 12' x 33' room, sealed 165L, downfiring on carpet, I only turn up the gain on the sub amp to 50% to balance my speakers. You can always add a port later.
Old 1st February 2003, 05:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly
You can always add a port later.

ported box have a bigger volume so that's not a good idea. Going from ported to sealed is less error prone.
Old 1st February 2003, 06:15 AM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by François

ported box have a bigger volume so that's not a good idea. Going from ported to sealed is less error prone.
Generally, when a speaker is put into a ported box, the box is considerably larger than when the same speaker goes into a sealed box. The ported speaker will give much more bass in it's new size.

However, this speaker in a 100L box just happens to fit into a range where you can go either ported or sealed. Most subs, you have to decide one way or the other.

The red line is the speaker in a closed box of 100L.

The blue line equals the same speaker with two 3" flared ports tuned to 22 Hz in a 100 L enclosure. The ports are 19 5/8 inches long.

The port flares are available from Parts Express or Madisound. Maybe even Adire-not sure on that one.
Attached Images
File Type: gif shiva, 100l ported and sealed.gif (15.7 KB, 114 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!