Shiva Help Please !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like some advise/help on tuning an enclosure I have built for the Shiva MKIII. The box is 6138cu inches/100.584 liters. I am using a 250w plate amp. The driver is mounted verticaly, and the port will be firing downward on to a deflection base. I will be using it mostly for movies, but want it to play music as well as possible, mostly modern jazz/classic rock/country. The room it is in is about 16' x 17' with 10' ceilings, which vault up to about 14'. There is no wall on the opposing wall of the sub. Iam not sure as to use a 3" or 4" port. I understand that if I use a 3" port, I can keep the space between the port outlet and the deflection plate a little closer? If this is true, and the 3" port will work well, then I would prefer to use the 3". My question is what freq. should i tun to (21-22hz?) and then what would be the port dimensions. Thank you for any and all help.

Sincerely,
Matt Kelly
mkellym@aol.com

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
François said:
ported box have a bigger volume so that's not a good idea. Going from ported to sealed is less error prone.

Generally, when a speaker is put into a ported box, the box is considerably larger than when the same speaker goes into a sealed box. The ported speaker will give much more bass in it's new size.

However, this speaker in a 100L box just happens to fit into a range where you can go either ported or sealed. Most subs, you have to decide one way or the other.

The red line is the speaker in a closed box of 100L.

The blue line equals the same speaker with two 3" flared ports tuned to 22 Hz in a 100 L enclosure. The ports are 19 5/8 inches long.

The port flares are available from Parts Express or Madisound. Maybe even Adire-not sure on that one.

Attachments

• shiva, 100l ported and sealed.gif
    shiva, 100l ported and sealed.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 137
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.