Stacking a LOT of 3" speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
now i have finished most of one side. the boxes obviously need to be fitted with sides and speakers and such but the basic structure is now visible.

Attachments

• img_5833.jpg
    img_5833.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 443
Re: As long as this one plays loud (and I do mean LOUD) I don't really care.

Looks like you are operating on the "Don't you try to confuse me with facts" motif.
Don't tell us that we didn't try to tell you that the cancellations caused by putting in a square of wide ranges and the cancellation from comb filter distortion(starting at about 3500hz) will cause an intense lack of air, and reduced power output, no matter how many watts you pump into the system.

We tried.

Zarathu

Mikael Abdellah said:
Yes of course. I would not be pumping a total of almost 5-6kW into that system and sit just a few meters away from it. I expect it to be plenty loud even at 100 feet, but of course bass will be lacking at those distances.

OH.....I thought you were looking at a hifi system not a patio/pool PA system. My bad.

You just wanna make a lot of loud noise.

I/We have just finished one side of the PA system and have made the first listening tests. The system is plenty loud with a very powerful punch, but as some of you (you don't have to write "told you so") pointed out there is very noticeable cancellation at the higher frequencies. However when you stand right in front of the top speaker it sound fairly good but the 3" drivers still lack a lot of HF. I will probably make new top speakers but that's another project. It has been extremely fun building this system and I have learned a lot.

I estimate we have fed 1-1.5kW peak to each of the 4 12" mid/woofers, and crossover frequencies are 50-150 24dB/oct LR for the subs and 180Hz 24dB/oct LR for the top speaker. :devilr:

FYI -

The Infinity Quantum Reference Standard, circa 1977, was a long line of planar tweeters next to a long line of planar midranges in one cabinet, and a 15" woofer in a separate cabinet.

At the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in 1978, they showed an updated version with the same cabinet layout, but the 15" woofer had been replaced with a 4 x 4 array of sixteen long excursion 3" woofers. They said the sound was more in keeping with the sound from the mid/tweeter arrays.

I don't think it ever went into production - I only saw it at the show, and have been unable to find any photos on the web.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mikael Abdellah said:
very noticeable cancellation at the higher frequencies

You have just reinvented the Sweet 16. The more drivers you pile into an array like this the lower they need to be XOed to a tweeter. If you can fit a bullet tweeter right in the middle things should get better.

http://p10hifi.net/planet10/TLS/downloads/Sweet-16.pdf

dave

Go nuts!

Has anyone here made a tight packed array of say 10x10 or 15x15 or more small drivers on a common flat baffle? How about this idea but mounting the drivers in concentric rings, supertweeter in the middle. If really ambitious one could experiment later with electronic time delay to each successive ring so as to create a spherical wavefront. I think the Quad 63 electrostats work like this with delay lines.

I have a large quantity of really fine sounding FR 6 inch drivers that I thought would enable such an experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.