Small Room - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2003, 04:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Small Room

Just moved into a new home, and the only avaliable room for stereo is 12'x13'.......so my question is what speakers are you guys with small rooms using?

Ray.
Old 29th January 2003, 05:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's not so small...

You can use monitor, mini-monitor or mini-floorstanders. When the room is too small, you might treat it a bit to avoid soud reflexion.
Old 29th January 2003, 06:21 PM   #3
Account Disabled

Default Not too bad

Thats not too bad, I am going to be working with somthing similar in less than a year. I will be doing an MTM with 5.5" Peerless HDS midwoofers and the Scan-Speak 9500. THey will be sealed and suplimented with a subwoofer.

-Paul
Old 29th January 2003, 06:50 PM   #4
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default reply

My room is 5m length by 4m width, I think it is a medium sized room,but it could be a small room.
And i'm using 2x 15 inch bass drivers and 2x horns,which sounds alright in that room.But tracks with heavy bass,makes the room sound boomy.Anyway the room is fairly echoey,probably due to the sticking out chimney breast,and bay windows.
I never know what is considered a small room,what is considered at medium room,and what is considered a large room.
Old 29th January 2003, 07:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default good size room 12x13

IMO I would prefer that room of yours for all my audio gears and easier to tame/treated. Unless you are into big dollar big speakers and big amps 12 X 13 is suitable to the majority of speakers.

The room that I am using now gave me a lot of trouble with standing waves, echo and hall effects; and it took me a long time to threat it to be just acceptable. Mine is 12' X 47' and 9'H, one long rectangle of family, breakfast nook and kitchen all in one.

I used to live in a semi that has a room of 12 X 13 and using a pair of Tannoy Little Red Monitors(quite big actually) driven by Meridian 101 100W mono blocks, and I loved that room.

Chris
Old 29th January 2003, 07:13 PM   #6
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Default Re: good size room 12x13

Quote:
Originally posted by chris ma
IMO I would prefer that room of yours for all my audio gears and easier to tame/treated. Unless you are into big dollar big speakers and big amps 12 X 13 is suitable to the majority of speakers.

The room that I am using now gave me a lot of trouble with standing waves, echo and hall effects; and it took me a long time to threat it to be just acceptable. Mine is 12' X 47' and 9'H, one long rectangle of family, breakfast nook and kitchen all in one.

I used to live in a semi that has a room of 12 X 13 and using a pair of Tannoy Little Red Monitors(quite big actually) driven by Meridian 101 100W mono blocks, and I loved that room.

Chris
My room is only 4x5m.

Can't be many people having 12x13.
In sweden we do not build houses like that.
Guess we are not rich enough.

/halo
Old 29th January 2003, 07:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Bull
I never know what is considered a small room,what is considered at medium room,and what is considered a large room.
If you can not fit all your basic equipment, it's a small room. If you can fit ALL your equipment with 2 couch, a mini-bar and 4 of your friends it's a big room. If you can fit 2 El-Pipo, you are in Mr Pass' room.

Old 29th January 2003, 07:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Halo,

Sorry, all measurements of the rooms in my previous post were feets not meters
Chris
Old 29th January 2003, 07:36 PM   #9
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Default Re: Small Room

my room is about this size. right now im using some small PSB towers. they work wonderfully. however, they took about a solid month of tweaking to find perfect placement. but with the lights off, they disappear (as well as the back wall). placement is always key. mine are about 1' from the back wal, 1.5' from the corner wall, and toed in just slightly. originally, they were perpendicular with back wall, but they didnt give as good of imaging. almost any speaker will work, if you can get it far enough away from a wall. but in your case, a small tower or a GOOD mini-monitor will be best.

Quote:
Originally posted by RAYSIMMONS
Just moved into a new home, and the only avaliable room for stereo is 12'x13'.......so my question is what speakers are you guys with small rooms using?

Ray.
Old 29th January 2003, 07:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

halo,

just to let you know in Hong Kong there are flats/apartments that has a bedroom the size of a twin size bed and just enough room for the door to swing/open into the room
If you don't get on the bed right away you can not close the door But I guess it is rather good to show your girl friend to your room

and close the door of course

Hide this!Advertise here!