SEAS 2way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As i said, unfortunately the SEAS is hard to get. At least the models that I asked for.

I can get Dayton RS series.
I also can get Beyma studio series and maybe Monacor (also is not in stock but can order in 2-3weeks)

My variants now are:
2way Dayton with 2xRS180S + RS28S
or
3way Beyma with 8BR40S (sealed-50l) + 5MP60N + T2010 (or RS28S)

Any opinion about Beyma and Dayton?

Thanks

If you are thinking about Dayton RS then check out the projects at PartsExpress, otherwise the Seas are very easy to work with to get good results.
I wouldnt go for the Beyma 3 way, nothing against them (they are very good quality) just the complexity of the system is much harder.
If you are after a wide sweet spot, then I would go for drivers with a lot of overlaop in their usuable range, ie a 6.5" good up to 4k, tweeter down to 1k, and cross at 2-2.5k, that way you will avoid beaming/lobing issues.
Your original choice of drivers is Ok, but the Seas 27tffc has an Fs of 900hz & recommended range from 2k, the 27tdfc has ferrofluid which will help in the crossover range so I would go for that one, the CA18rly is Ok but perhaps the CA18RNX with its larger magnet will give you a bit more bass.
Worth taking a look at www.zaphaudio.com for some useful info.
Andrew.

Ap said:

I wouldnt go for the Beyma 3 way, nothing against them (they are very good quality) just the complexity of the system is much harder.
If you are after a wide sweet spot, then I would go for drivers with a lot of overlaop in their usuable range, ie a 6.5" good up to 4k, tweeter down to 1k, and cross at 2-2.5k, that way you will avoid beaming/lobing issues.

Andrew.

OK. I am also thinking more about Beyma.
What tweeter do you recommend? Beyma or Dayton? Also Seas 27TDC is available.

Is there any advantage in using 2 Mid drivers instead of one? MMT arrangement.

This is first variant I will try.
There will be a passive crossover between tweeter and mid. No Low pass crossover. The bass will have active high pass crossover.
For start I will use 4x LM3886 amplifiers (design of Mauro Penasa);

Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• drawing_v0.1.gif
    drawing_v0.1.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 476
No low pass xover on the mid will result in beaming/lobing issues, I would strongly suggest using some sort of filter, even if it is just a shelving filter to help with baffle step (ie inductor/resistor paralleled then series connected to the woofer).
Andrew.

Ap said:
No low pass xover on the mid will result in beaming/lobing issues, I would strongly suggest using some sort of filter, even if it is just a shelving filter to help with baffle step (ie inductor/resistor paralleled then series connected to the woofer).
Andrew.

Sorry! I was thinking of something and typing something else.
Rephrase: "No high pass crossover for mids" :)

Between mid and tweeter, there will be a normal passive filter. There are already some 2way projects with this drivers. But I will design another filter. There is more fun than just copying :)

It will be something like a 2way + (sub)woofer.

I just received the drivers. :)
Now I'm running the 5MP60N as fullrange in a sealed ~7l box. It is quite good. With BSC and room gain is flat to ~80Hz. It goes up to 5-6kHz. I think this one will be quite easy to cross.
But before that, I will try it in a small TL and open baffle to see how it performs. It has about the same parameters as drivers used in Ariel. Maybe it works good in TL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.