Delta3 coming along ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess you could call them my version of a Wilson Sophia, which is a reworking of my original Delta speakers.
This is the first time I've tried an automotive finish and its so much harder than veneering! Thanks to Shinobiwan for his finishing tips which have been very helpful.

Attachments

• delta3_paintedfront1.jpg
    delta3_paintedfront1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 416
G'day Thanh

The bass cabinet is a my Samson subwoofer with some additional bracing and a base to raise things to the right height. Its 300mm wide - any wider wouldnt look right. I've now decided I have no need for a subwoofer since in-room I'm getting good output down to 30Hz. Also, nowadays I'm really trying to follow the less-is-more philosophy and reduce the visual impact on my living room (which I admit looks like a real bachelor pad).

Yep, still using the old Dynaudio d21/2. How many dome tweeters these days get to 40 kHz? ;) The OW1 would be a very nice alternative for sure though and I'd probably use it if it had the same flange diameter of 110mm (the OW1 is 94mm I think).

Exhausted after about 6 hours of sanding, cutting and polishing today.
The next few days (after work) I'll build the crosssovers - aiming for completion by this weekend :D, and I'm gradually putting together a write-up so I dont forget what I did in years to come ;)
Cheers
David

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Gloss candy white, looks soft yet paradoxically hard. Bloomin' lovely work David.

Its also probably the first speaker I've seen that looks great with the grill covers on. Actually I think they looks better with them on than off, so yes a definite first there. Excellently done.

Do you expect these to sound at all similar to the older Delta's? If it ain't broke don't fix it I assume?

Thanks. Yeah the plan was to have a good looking speaker WITH grills in place, and that they would blend into the living room (no Ferrari red I'm afraid ;) ). The cloth thankfully isnt as transparent as it appears in the photos. I'll only remove the grills for "critical" listening as they definitely have a measureable and audible effect (the felt circles help significantly) - more roughness above 5k, and about 1dB attenuation above 10kHz.
The colour is called "lace", a nice soft cream color.
Overall sound is quite similar to Delta4, which was my goal, as this is a design in which I've made compromises for the sake of size, appearance and easier amp load. The top end is a little better though as I've boosted the tweeter 2dB relative to the mid - now not as "polite" or far away from the performers as before. Still early in the listening sessions, but it seems (not suprisingly) that the lower positioned bass driver has increased bottom end a bit too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.