Adire Audio closes shop. Too bad. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2007, 12:28 AM   #1
dtaylo3 is offline dtaylo3  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Adire Audio closes shop. Too bad.

http://www.adireaudio.com/

looks like Adire is hanging it up. making a business out of DIY is a hard path. too bad, seemed like great guys.

Old 2nd July 2007, 01:38 AM   #2
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, there's been a big thread about it right on the main page of carstereos.org / soundillusions.net for a while, although the site mysteriously seems to be down at the moment. Sounds like a bunch of people got screwed. They're all very angry at Dan Wiggins, and I can't really say I blame them. If Dan ever starts something else in the future and it becomes known, there's quite a large group of people willing to cause hell right now. It probably hasn't been the easiest thing for people who sold his products to deal with, either- ie: acoustic-visions, etc. On the other hand, I remember a time when I really admired some of Adire's products, and the customer service was fantastic. And I really enjoyed reading some of Dan's posts around the net. However, I think that all went completely south a long time ago. And, of course, a lot of people are kinda just left hanging. Oh well...

Old 2nd July 2007, 01:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
I assume the Extremic 6.8 is going to be no more? Will CSS still produce the FR125/WR125 drivers with the XBL^2 motors?

Old 2nd July 2007, 03:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Adire & Dan Wiggins

I understand (through 2nd hand news, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt) that Adire tried to move production to Chile a few years ago. It was a huge fiasco, with production being over cost, late, and poor quality that was rejected.

This is unfortunately one of those business decisions, rather than going to China like everyone else, which backfired.

Personally I hate to see them go. They made some great products, and I still have and use their 10 subwoofer. But to blame Dan personally for this is not right. If he wanted to screw someone he would have accepted the bad product from Chile and sell it until the reputation prevented them from selling more. He chose the high road, which I personally appreciate.

If someone knows the inside information better than I, please speak up. But in the mean while I appreciate Dan's intellegent designs and look forward to being able to get them from someplace new.

Old 2nd July 2007, 03:36 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
I assume the Extremis 6.8 is going to be no more? Will CSS still produce the FR125/WR125 drivers with the XBL^2 motors?

Adire as a manufacturer may be gone, but IINM XBL^2 was a technology licensed to a variety of OEM's, CSS among them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob has already secured arrangements for continued manufacture of CSS products, although some minor cosmetic differences or changes to model names might be anticipated.

Old 2nd July 2007, 03:48 AM   #6
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Jon Ver Halen: Although my previous post probably didn't sound like it, I'm actually with you, and pretty much feel the same way (and I also own a 10" Brahma ). Had I been one of the ones that was screwed, however, I'd probably be much more ignorant to the whole situation. I get screwed over A LOT. Yanno...one of those ones that always seem to have the very worst of luck. Oh well, anyways...

Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
I assume the Extremic 6.8 is going to be no more? Will CSS still produce the FR125/WR125 drivers with the XBL^2 motors?
It's my understanding that the Extremis 6.8 will be no more, and that Exodus Audio (DIYCable.com) is making a replacement for their stuff, although it'll be much different from the Extremis. On the other hand, I'm not exactly sure what will happen with the FR125/WR125.

My guess is that the absence of Adire won't be THAT huge of a loss, as their many contributions to audio will continue to be replaced/replicated with similar models by other manufacturers as a result...

Adire has pretty much been out of it for quite a while now, and I was pretty certain I saw this coming a long time ago. During this time, however, a few other manufacturers of interest with great products have popped up... Mainly CSS, Ascendant Audio, Resonant Engineering or RE Audio, Mpyre, etc etc. It's clearly obvious that Adire's previous contributions to this market will continue to live on, regardless of whether or not they're actually in business producing their own products. After all, their primary focus was OEM.

Old 2nd July 2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Hyldal is offline Hyldal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Does this mean that the XBL2 princip is free for everybody to use?

Old 2nd July 2007, 03:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The XBL^2 design is patented under David Hyre and Dan Wiggins name. See patent number 7039213. They will likely still make money from licensing the technology to other manufacturers, even though they will no longer manufacture their own version of it.

David

Old 2nd July 2007, 03:22 PM   #9
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd be very surprised if they let that 'lil nut away. XBL^2 makes for a good motor (He says as he enjoys some FR125 magic)

Old 2nd July 2007, 10:21 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Adire Audio closes shop. Too bad.

IMHO, the writing has been on the wall since Hemp Acoustics & Adire merged... from what little i heard the Chile fiasco really seemed to have sucked the life out of Adire. I think you will find that XBL2 will continue on, i don't know whether Dan & Dave or Hemp Acoustics gets the royalties. I have suspected since the merger that we will see XBL HA drivers.

We will likely see at least a couple "improved" Extremis show up, a lovely woofer.

The CSS WR & FR are in no danger, the RoHS compliant FRs (the FR125SR) is now here.

dave

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!