Tannoy alternatives - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Question Tannoy alternatives

I am looking at another house, where I can add a dedicated music room, but have not made the final decision yet....

I also found this web page about the classical tannoy speakers, like the Westminster, the GRF and the likes.. There is also a straight vertical version of the GRF which lookes like possible candidate.............Always admired those, but based on other peoples heresay . Never heard them. I have heard several VOTTs, though, and once the almighty Paragon......

But- and a large but, indeed, - the old coaxials are getting rare, and the prices I have found are sometimes just hilarious......

Then I wonder - are there any alternatives the the old gold???? Can't find a good set of T/S either....
A separate bass and a top midd/high is another way, but which elements would be suitable as alternatives- permanent or temporarly............. sensitivity comparable to the Tannoys
Any good suggestions ??? ( Scott ??? )
Old 1st July 2007, 11:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

check out this site:

http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/Tannoy_ts.html
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I certainly haven't heard all or most of the DC drivers available now - BUT none I have heard even approached the Tannoy IMO. There's something special there. If someone could just make 'em like they did....

My opinion is that if you can afford a set - go for it. Mine broke real bad and I sold them off - non alnico ones. I will regret that forever as I'll probably never get another.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:31 AM   #4
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

B&C and BMS make great drivers, and both offer coaxes in sizes from 8"-15". They have conventional short horns rather than Tannoy's modern Tulip waveguide (it's really more of a phase plug) or old-school Pepperpot phase plug, but I would think both of them have a shot at making the equal or better of the Tannoy Dual. (I do love my Dual Concentrics, though.) B&C's woofer motors are simply outstanding, and I'm fond of BMS's compression drivers. I haven't heard any of BMS's woofers, or enough of B&C's compression drivers, to feel qualified to comment on either, though.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys....I guess the old gold is still - GOLD ( and priced likewise...)

Working in engineering all my life, though, it seems somewhat strange that there are so few modern alternatives, - if any. Just proves that far from everything old is crap, as alot of younger people seem to think.....
( that goes for old geesers too!!)

Pete- thanks alot. Strangely enough , I haven't been able to find that page previously.

I had also forgotten about MaxLorenz' rebuild of the Autograph, here on this forum. The Beyma KX coaxials could be an alternative, but to the best of my knowledge, I haven't heard any of those....opinions??
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
You could try for a set of Tannoy HPD 385's as they are no way near as expensive as the Golds. You could put the difference into a really special cabinet.

I have 'em and love 'em
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:45 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the driver in the Westminster is a very close relative of the HPD385. They reverted to alnico magnet and I think they have also abandoned the tulip waveguide in favour of the pepper pot horn.

If their most expensive domestic speaker has given up on ferrite and tulip then the HPD may well be the best of the bunch. Except for the foam surround, most of which need replacing by now.
The genuine Tannoy recone upgrades that speaker from 85W to 150W and still with 94db/W (real watts) sensitivity.
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Alnico mags are really expensive now but apparently have a sound all their own........They also have the pepper pot horn

I bought mine and had them re coned and they are fab again. All in for less than 500
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Beyma do some coaxial drivers which would be substitutes for Tannoy. Has anyone tried them?
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bumping this up front again..

As a possible alternative, a rectangular GRF as the bass horn and a top horn for mid/highs.. what drivers could match the bass performance??

Hide this!Advertise here!