(WW) MMTMM dipole Ė 4 vs 3 way / dipole benefit frequencies? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2007, 02:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default (WW) MMTMM dipole Ė 4 vs 3 way / dipole benefit frequencies?

Hello,
I would be really interested in thoughts re why in the following scenario, dipole outperforms monopole at higher frequencies; Iíd read that the benefits are realised at low frequencies?

OK, so having read all of the great info you guys have shared on this site, and having looked at Linkwitzís site etc I did something that some of you will consider horrifically crude: took Seas speakers from a couple of boxes Iíd been playing with and using wood from an old wardrobe (got to find a use for that Ikea furniture that has the temporal resilience of style found on a catwalk :/ ), I made a front panel that can stand as a dipole or be popped on a box in seconds. Yes, I know it is a huge untuned sealed box, and the tweeter/upper mids are too far apart Ė iím going to drop some larger mids in. See thumbnails below.

So it took 2 hours, I threw a crossover together on a breadboard using spare poor quality components (quality perhaps not being an issue according to John[Zaph]), but Iím almost astounded at the resulting MMTMM. Playing it with the lowest speaker of a quad 22L (150Hz crossover (the 0.5 of a 2.5 Ė no other drivers firing!) to substitute for the not-yet-built low-woofer, the sound is real, articulate and superbly presented, compared to a set of £900 Quad speakers. Oh, and it is in mono Iím astounded how much bass there is even without the Quad filling in the sub 150Hz. Beats quads hands down.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Putting the baffle on the box, the sound is simply not as articulate. Hence question 1:

1) I thought the advantages of dipole were at very low frequencies, which whilst my crossover has no low filter on the 18cm units (really a WMTMW), produces most of its sub 150Hz sound from the monopole quad unit I have running alongside. How can putting the baffle on the box effect the sound so badly? (I must build removable boxes around the mids incase the pressure from lower mids in a box inhibits movement of higher mids)

Second question Ė a WMT vs a WT using these same drivers, with appropriate crossover for each simply do not compare. Perhaps it is the limits of using drivers at the top and bottom of their recommended frequencies Ė but inclusion of even a cheap mid driver like this is vastly better to my personal taste, so

2) Is it OK to use two mids like Paul Wright

http://www.geocities.com/pnwright3/Test_Mules.html, or would anyone suggest potential problems?
I would prefer a WW-MMTMM, and put woofers at the bass or separate so speakers arenít too large and dominant (or the size of a wardrobe door). John (Zaph) again makes good comments here Idea for tall slim B3s design- MMTMM but unfortunately the design with ĎSlim with higher quality driversí mentioned in this thread didnít appear on Zaphaudio site to my knowledge. A third question being,

3) Is putting the woofers at the bass (but still in dipole) going to effect the sound?
I would imagine as long as the lower mids are going right down to 200Hz or lower, then it is fine to have woofers at bottom (e.g. Phoenix like http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm ,But 3(+woofer) way rather than 2(+woofer) way. Would the sort of room size effect the sound - room is twice as big as this photo (note, speakers firing across room

Click the image to open in full size.

One further thought to keep panels slim would be to keep the bass on the main panel: a WMTMW, replacing those 61/2Ē seas with 8Ē. Taking the bass x-over down to 100Hz or lower, then using a sub located elsewhere for the low frequencies. This would keep the panels slimmer. My only concern with using subs is I only use it for 2 channel music (acoustic/classical/electronic/folk/rock... many genres really) Ė a good bass extension on main speakers ought to be enough without subs.

4) Any views on (a)displaced position sub for lower frequencies + [small-footprint] main panel WMTMW down to 100Hz or lower), vs (b)more musical sub positioned under [larger-footprint main panel extending up to 200Hz or so (main panel MMTMM).

Any comments appreciated. Having no shame, Iíve attached a couple of pictures of my 2 hr construction speaker system (there are some Quads and old leak speakers lurking here too). You can see the box for monopole vs frame for dipole. Iíll build a few more monsters like this based on any suggestions from you people, then start on LSPcad to design things properly. Iíve already found a faulty tweeter can plot similar to a good tweeter (despite sounding awful), so I decided abandoning design and playing would be good before getting back to drawing board to refine whatever I liked the sound of.

Thanks for all the posters on previous threads that Iíve been reading, which got me started; in particular 5th element, Zaph, AJinFLA, Paul W, and ShinOBIWAN. Helpful resource! Also found some biopole info from John Marsh, Thomas W, Paul H on the htguide board Ė but Iíve no idea of board politics so Iíve not referenced any designs there. Iíd hazard a guess there are more 2 channel people here thought, so fingers crossed there are some views on the above.
Old 30th June 2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How can putting the baffle on the box effect the sound so badly? (I must build removable boxes around the mids incase the pressure from lower mids in a box inhibits movement of higher mids)
You've got many subjects going on in one post but you've already identified a partial answer to your main question...in a single box, the woofers will modulate the mids. The mids cannot be contained in the same box as the woofers. Also, the box in the picture is not nearly stiff enough to be used as a speaker enclosure. Study enclosure construction, then either rework or replace the box; with volume appropriate for the drivers.
Old 30th June 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Any comments appreciated. Having no shame....
Hi,

At what frequency are you crossing over the M to T drivers ? I estimated the c-c distances of your speaker and found this:
See the pictures.

b

1 (4)
Attached Images
File Type: gif lr-w-m-t-m-w-dipol.gif (67.6 KB, 410 views)
Old 30th June 2007, 09:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

2(2)
Attached Images
File Type: gif lr-w-m-t-m-w-dipol-rev.gif (67.1 KB, 378 views)
Old 30th June 2007, 09:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

3(4)
Attached Images
File Type: gif odd_order-w-m-t-m-w.gif (67.5 KB, 286 views)
Old 30th June 2007, 09:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

4(4)
Attached Images
File Type: gif w-((m)-t-(m))-w-dipol.gif (72.3 KB, 291 views)
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul W

in a single box, the woofers will modulate the mids. The mids cannot be contained in the same box as the woofers.
Thanks for that Paul... Yes, I'll certain box in the mids - though I've made a further interesting discovery. Side panels extanding back more than a few inches have the same negative effect on presence as putting it in the box. This obviously makes me suspicious it is not the woofers effect on the mids, but something to do with dipole performance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul W

Also, the box in the picture is not nearly stiff enough to be used as a speaker enclosure. Study enclosure construction, then either rework or replace the box; with volume appropriate for the drivers.
Indeed; Sorry, I should have added to that. I'm simply using that box (which is far too thin and inadequately braced) with varying amounts of its volume displaced with further wooden boxes inside to allow me to put boards on the front easily at a very experimental stage. These drivers have been in appropriate sized boxes before, only I wanted to be able to verify very quickly, just by moving the board to the box, whether the dipole configuration or just layout of the board was responsible for the sound I liked. Trying to remember one sound accurately, then compare after building another box and moving the drivers from one to the other is on the challenging side!

It still seems to be related to their being dipoles because of the effect of extensive side baffles as mentioned above.

Yes, I shouldn't have put 4 questions in one email!
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bjorno

Hi,

At what frequency are you crossing over the M to T drivers ? I estimated the c-c distances of your speaker and found this:
See the pictures.

Bjorno - Fantastic, amongst the bits of software I read up on, I hadn't come across that. I'll have a play around with that! Efforts appreciated.

Thanks for your efforts. The mids are crossed 3.8KHz... but I'm intrigued that Paul's Mules would be likely to suffer some lobing - and I'm pretty sure his site said he used passive for T-M crossover? I'd also hazard a guess they sound good regardless...

Paul?

Thanks guys
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Side panels extanding back more than a few inches have the same negative effect on presence as putting it in the box. This obviously makes me suspicious it is not the woofers effect on the mids, but something to do with dipole performance.
Midrange resonances can develop between OB side panels when the side panels are straight back from the baffle (parallel). It's not the same problem as the box but still a negative result. To break up that resonance, try angling both side panels outward at 45 degrees.

Do you have measurement capability and/or are you using something like the Edge to predict OB results?
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You posted while I was typing

Yes, "the Mules" sounded good, but it took a year of tweaking to get the best from them. Yes, lobing was one of the compromises made with them, some of it with purpose. (I don't know of a zero compromise speaker).

Hide this!Advertise here!