which modern coaxial offer good sound possibilities?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm eagerly waiting for Hawthorne Audio's newest OB coaxial...supposed to be released within a few months or so. I don't think their current Silver Iris would satisfy me, due to the cheapo Eminence tweeter with such a high xover (3.5 KHz?) on a 15" woofer. I'm HOPING their future coaxial will be much smoother in frequency response and crossed much lower, as it's supposed to use a Radian tweeter, which are very smooth and go down as low as 500-800 Hz or so I think, depending on which one they use. If anyone has anymore info regarding the Sterling Silver Iris that I'm unaware of, please post it and let me know. Also, I'm wondering if they're planning on releasing a 10" version of the Sterling Silver Iris with the Radian compression tweeter. If they did, I'd buy it. But I guess my only real option is to wait and wait, and then settle for the 15".

On the other hand, the Beyma 8BX seems to have better response than most of these pro coaxials, and mainly..looks like it could easily be used for OB. But I think it's still lacking in the mid-high to high freq's, and I might not like it. Main thing is, I'd have to design a good crossover if I wanted to use it, and I don't have the knowledge to do that yet.

After spending literally months searching for the best readily available coaxials for hi-fi use, I think they're actually pretty few and far between...and as far as OB coaxials go, the two I've mentioned above are the only ones I've been able to find.

freddi said:
nice tweeter

my limited experice of 10" Eminence (Beta 10cx/B102) had less subjective HF extension than some 15" coax

what do you think Hawthorne did with Eminence to improve on the 10"? which modern in-production compression drivers might be nice on coax to ~1K5? (assume SI 10 has 1001-?)

I would say 1.5k would be an upper limit for the 10" SI. I had them crossed over at 1400hz at one point, but there was some harshness in the midrange so I lowered it to 1k. Now they sound amazing.

I think the only compression driver you will find that will play that low and still sound good is a Radian driver. They carry too high a price tag for me to ever try them out though.

Patrick Bateman

Whenever I've listened to coaxials like that, I hear a lot of HOMs due to the lack of termination for that horn on the tweeter. Putting the tweeter in the neck, and using the woofer cone as a waveguide, improves the sound dramatically.

The driver not a tweeter . Tweeters make funny sounds like tssss.

The HF compression driver is mounted behind the woofer with a horn in front.

That will make a big difference over a tweeter.

Altec and JBL makes those with a tweeter they are used as ceiling speakers.

re: horn termination by "funnel and cone" - might not hurt to have an inductor directly across the HF driver if a good sum can be achieved. whadya think?

anyone here try new beta 10cx and 12cx? - if so what impressions? - new surround might make a difference (?)

freddi

might not hurt to have an inductor directly across the HF driver if a good sum can be achieved. whadya think?

The only improvement needed is time alignement. The UREI Duplex had such Crossover.

Other than that the older models were redesigned with phase
correction.

Jeff Markwart is the expert in that field. I call it fine tuning.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/index.html

CONVERGENCE said:
Patrick Bateman

The driver not a tweeter . Tweeters make funny sounds like tssss.

The HF compression driver is mounted behind the woofer with a horn in front.

That will make a big difference over a tweeter.

Altec and JBL makes those with a tweeter they are used as ceiling speakers.

Yes, I know it's a compression driver. The problem with the horn termination remains though. Basically you don't want an unterminated horn or waveguide. It causes reflections back down to the throat, which leads to HOMs, which are a BAD THING. The effect is more audible with a shallow horn or waveguide, like the one used in the coax you posted.

The proof is in the pudding - every coax I've heard that used a configuration like that sounded flawed to me. Once you know what HOMs sound like, you can pick 'em out with your eyes closed.

Putting the tweeter in the neck of the voice coil is an improvement; a unity horn takes it to the next level.

Patrick Bateman

The proof is in the pudding - every coax I've heard that used a configuration like that sounded flawed to me. Once you know what HOMs sound like, you can pick 'em out with your eyes closed.

Well you haven't heard Altec Lansing.

Attachments

• hf duplex.jpg
    hf duplex.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 398
freddi said:
re: Duplex - I ain't "HOM"-o-phobic - we don't see RCA-Fan or Edgar jumping to put foam in their horns (??)

Probably never will. Based on what i read here it knocks a compression driver sensitivity down a whopping ten db or more plus you have to eq it to get the top end back. with that kind of efficiency (dread) just use a good dome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.