Aurum Cantus - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2007, 01:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aurum Cantus

Has any one used the Aurum Cantus AC-130MKII mid woofer? I tought it looked promising and models well in a MLTL so thought I would try it out. Finally got the cabinet built and a very rough X over just to see how it sounded last night. After a bit of a warm up my jaw dropped. No woofer costing less than $100 should sound this good. Smooth midrange, and the TL cabinet really brings out some nice deep bass. Very clean and natural sound, brilliant for acoustic music. It has blown away my metal SEAS based projects. Some one really should test this woofer.
Old 29th June 2007, 02:44 AM   #2
jholtz is offline jholtz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Aurum Cantus

Quote:
Originally posted by mandoman
Has any one used the Aurum Cantus AC-130MKII mid woofer? I tought it looked promising and models well in a MLTL so thought I would try it out. Finally got the cabinet built and a very rough X over just to see how it sounded last night. After a bit of a warm up my jaw dropped. No woofer costing less than $100 should sound this good. Smooth midrange, and the TL cabinet really brings out some nice deep bass. Very clean and natural sound, brilliant for acoustic music. It has blown away my metal SEAS based projects. Some one really should test this woofer.
I have 20 of them in my Selah Audio line arrays. Yes, I agree that it is a fine driver that doesn't get talked about much. I expect that they'll be phased out soon. Aurum Cantus has a new motor design that is listed on their website that appears to be a real step forward in low distortion design. I think they'll continue to offer the carbon fiber/Kevlar cone however.

It's a darn nice driver.

Jim

Old 29th June 2007, 03:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm still waiting for mine from PE... supposed to ship in July I guess.

Could you post a plot of the response?
Old 29th June 2007, 03:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by augerpro
I'm still waiting for mine from PE... supposed to ship in July I guess.

Could you post a plot of the response?
Hi Brandon,

Sorry, I don't have any response plots. My line arrays are a custom design by Selah Audio so Rick did all of the measurements and crossover development.

It's interesting that PE had them on sale and didn't have them in stock. I think the new drivers that are replacing the MKII's will be a killer design if the motor tests as well as it looks.

Jim
Old 29th June 2007, 03:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jholtz

Hi Brandon,

Sorry, I don't have any response plots. My line arrays are a custom design by Selah Audio so Rick did all of the measurements and crossover development.

It's interesting that PE had them on sale and didn't have them in stock. I think the new drivers that are replacing the MKII's will be a killer design if the motor tests as well as it looks.

Jim

Yeah that got me kinda bent when I ordered those drivers on sale and then get an email saying they are backordered. I wonder if these will be the same model being sold to get rid of old stock or one of the new revisions? Hope it's the latter.
Old 29th June 2007, 11:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

has anybody used the 130F1s?

ive been trying to plan out a 3 way using those and a planer and 2 12s or 10s and was wondering if anybody knows how those sound

the graphs look VERY nice

scott
Old 29th June 2007, 11:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have just been taking a close look at the new model. Unfortunately the TS parameter changes have made it much less suited to a MLTL. I just can't get a bass response anywhere near the old driver in any sort of practical enclosure. Qts is most likely too low for a TL.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottericsonon
has anybody used the 130F1s?

ive been trying to plan out a 3 way using those and a planer and 2 12s or 10s and was wondering if anybody knows how those sound

the graphs look VERY nice

scott
Zaph tested them.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/5.5test/compare.html

3rd order distortion gets kind of ugly around 1800 Hz. so you'd want to cross low for the best sound quality.

Jim
Old 6th July 2007, 05:07 PM   #9
GOWA is offline GOWA  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default AURUM CANTUS

I am quickly becoming a fan of this company. I have two AC-200MK2 woofers that I will be matching to Vifa's DX25TG-05-04 tweeter. I also just received four AC-130F-1 drivers (5.25'') that I am waiting to use in the right project. These are the square frame ones. John "Zaph" Krutke tested this particular driver and has the results on his site. http://www.zaphaudio.com/5.5test/
They are available in round but nobody seems to carry the round ones.
These are amazing drivers. The build quality is second to none.
http://www.aurumcantus.com/aurumcant..._midwoofer.htm
Old 6th July 2007, 08:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

im still not sure which ones im going to use...........

im working REAL hard on modeling xovers for a mk 2 along with a RS270 and maybe a morel mdt 37 or a B&G neo3 planar tweet

scott

Hide this!Advertise here!