AN-E cabinet plans...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
plans for ane

Troels Gravesen kindly posted these cabinet plans and discussed how it is impossible for these AN speakers to have a efficiency rating of 98dB, also confirmed by John Atkinson at Stereophile who measure them and found them to be 92dB. I also wouldn't feel bad about copying this design since it is itself just a copy of the old Snell Type E design. The Tonegen tweeters that Audio Note uses are about a $5 device, a similar model was used in many of the older NHT designs like the Super Zero.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/HES_II.htm

>>dogbert
Thanks a lot for posting that link, strange that I did not come across on this very page..;-)) BTW: Very interesting page, any way..;-)
>>Scottmoose
Sound strange that to me, that AN has problem with box boom,
they ware original from AN or some kind of clones or DYI kit, which model if you remember??
What amp was attached ??

Thanks a lot..
Regards,
Artur

Kit 02s. Amplification was all Audio-Note, pre and power amps, Audio Note caps throughout. Until a short in one amp cut out the right hand channel entirely, I heard a pair of lovely amplifiers trying to get past a pair of mediocre speakers.

As Dave says, the AN speakers are nothing special at all. They're just warmed-over Snells dating from the 1980s, and a characteristic of those units that they continue is using minimal damping in the box. It's a point of view to be sure, but the price is considerable box noise, particularly in the midbass regions. There are far better speakers out there.

cypher said:
Let me ask question in another way ..;-))
What to do if not AN-E clons
High efficiency is a must and project should not to ruin my budget, simplicyty is also required.. ..;-))
Amplification is DIY Tube EL34/6N2P
A.

What would you consider to be "high" efficiency? IIRC, Atkinson's measurements of the AN-E Lexus came it at "approx" 92dB.

I've built a few pairs of cabinets for the AN-E speaker kit for a local dealer, and had the opportunity to view the raw components, as well as compare the kit built to several "levels" of factory versions.

FWIW, of the several models of AN speakers I've had the opportunity to hear, I prefer the smaller "J" to the "E", and I think these products will appeal to the type of customer who for many reasons would never consider a DIY speaker.

The AN-E boxes themselves are nothing special, and by many of our standards, certainly underbraced and underdamped. Further, aside from the putative hand matching of the crossovers to the individual drivers, the kit crossovers are nothing special at all in terms of parts quality. The major roadblock to precisely cloning this design would be the drivers themselves - regardless of their origin, it's clear they are custom spec'd OEM units.

There are any number of DIY designs, many of them single driver, and posted on Dave's site, that can easily meet or exceed the above sensitivity figure. In addition to which, costing less than the sales tax on the AN speaker kit, many will deliver way more smiles per dollar.

Ask me how I know this?

There are any number of DIY designs, many of them single driver, and posted on Dave's site, that can easily meet or exceed the above sensitivity figure. In addition to which, costing less than the sales tax on the AN speaker kit, many will deliver way more smiles per dollar.

Thanks for your opinion,

Summarising topic, please correct me if I am wrong,

1) AN-E is nothing special and for this money I cane achieve more in this matter..
2) I can succeed cloning only if project will be based on original speakers, (any chance to get them on open market ???)
Dave's site ??
Sorry for ignorance, could you possibly post full link ??
Regards,
Artur

cypher said:

Thanks for your opinion,

Summarising topic, please correct me if I am wrong,

1) AN-E is nothing special and for this money I can achieve more in this matter..

Regardless of the performance of the particular speaker in question, I think you'd find no argument here with that assertion.

So far in this thread, I don't think the question has been asked: is it a personal audition of a pair of these that has interested you? No offense intended to any fans of the design, but they're not everyone's cup tea, regardless of price/"cache".

2) I can succeed cloning only if project will be based on original speakers, (any chance to get them on open market ???)

If by clone you mean to exactly replicate the performance of any original design, then availability to custom specified OEM drivers should be critical.
A major contribution to the character of these speakers is the cabinet design and construction materials/methods used. That information is readily available. The drivers are a different story.

Peter Q would not be the only manufacturer to keep those specs a closely guarded secret - so to obtain the exact parts at "open market" pricing would be highly unlikely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.