Mounting tweeters over the woofer in a line array.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just as a design idea, how bad of an idea would it be to mount the tweeter over the woofer in a 2way? In this particular case, it would be a line array. So there would be a 1.75" wide strip to which the tweeters would be mounted to, floating in front of the 4" midrange drivers. They would be actively crossed over at 3200hz (24dB).

Attachments

• array.jpg
    array.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 340
Tweeters over woofers

I'm just starting one like that now - 36 Dayton Neo's suspended over 9 Peerless 850234 5.75" . I measured one of each, and the normally flat to 4k Peerless starts its rolloff at about 2500hz. Could be better, but not TOO bad. The tweeters will be in a piece of ceiling light grid with felt on the back of the tweeters.

Well...no real good reason. I just wanted to keep them very narrow and looking a little exotic. I already have the mids and most of the tweeters. They're in a U frame OB (avatar) at the moment. I'm just wondering what to expect, and if anybody else has done this.

Attachments

• coaxialarray.gif
    coaxialarray.gif
    75.4 KB · Views: 147
GuyPanico said:
Well...no real good reason. I just wanted to keep them very narrow and looking a little exotic. I already have the mids and most of the tweeters. They're in a U frame OB (avatar) at the moment. I'm just wondering what to expect, and if anybody else has done this.

Get a midrange driver you have laying around, play it
aimed at you, then cover the midrange with a piece of wood
similar to what you propose. Did you like the sound with
the midrange covered?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.