Vandersteen Quatro driver placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious, does anyone know where the two 8" drivers on the Vandersteen Quatros are placed, and what the box design is? From looking at the front of the newer wood models, the 8" must either be rear-firing or down-firing and I'm curious how this can maintain time-phase response, as all the Vandersteen speakers proport to do.

Thanks!

yeah, it just doesn't add up right. Look at this picture of the Quatro wood:

http://www.vandersteen.com/images/QuatroWood.jpg

The total height is 43" and let's say 50% of the front baffle is dedicated to the speakers (yet, it's obviously less than that from the picture). So, we have to fit a the following on the front: two 8", one 6.5", one 4.5" and a 1" tweeter... I cannot imagine these fitting, even if the 8" were side by side.

Hmmm, they could be on the back as per the model 3A or on the bottom as per the model 5. I think the latter given the apparent slots on the sides. Here's the model 5 drawing :

Attachments

• screenhunter_002.jpg
    screenhunter_002.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 206
very interesting! So, I'm somewhat surprised that such a configuration doesn't effect the time/phase coherent nature of the Vandersteens. Perhaps someone can explain that a bit to me?

Also, in general, what does one have to worry about when considering down-firing, or even rear-firing subs in a three-way design? Are these equivalent to forward-firing designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.