CNC cut MDF service or hardware? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Default CNC cut MDF service or hardware?

I like experimenting with new speaker drivers and crossovers.

But I lack much of the space for workworking tools.

Is there any company that could cut MDF into precise rectangular pieces. That way I'd just have to clamp, screw and glue things together.

I've seen various Internet companies that can CNC cut wood, plastic, metal, etc. but there prices for simple rectangular shapes is too expensive.

Alternately, is there a CNC router table that can do 15" by 25" for under say $2000 ? It wouldn't have to be more than about 1/32" accurate for my needs.
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:29 PM   #2
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

CNC is a waste if you only need right angles. The local lumber store will cut wood for $.50 a cut.
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

As above. Further more, cutting sheets accurately to then clamp and glue together never works perfectly. A better method is to cut some panels accurately and oversize some panels which attach to it. Then flush trim with a router.

See here for the method I use: http://www.vikash.info/audio/W3-871S/build.asp and send me some of your 2k budget and save the rest for drivers and other supplies

V
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Also, if you are just looking for standard boxes, Parts Express sells some nice cabinets.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=208
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:20 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Third the motion on CNC as an expensive use of technology for simple rectangular (or even straight tapered) cutting of flat panels.

If you're really limited to floor space, even the little job-site table saws available for a few hundred dollars can work quite well. Absolute dimensional accuracy to your noted tolerance is probably less important than you think - it's the tight fitting of the parts and smoothness of cut that matters.

Overcut your parts to a rough size if necessary to simplify handling on a small saw, and plan cutting so that all pieces requiring a common dimension are cut with the same fence setup.

Don't scrimp on the tooling - even on a cheap saw carbide tipped blades should be considered mandatory - along with slow and consistent stock feed rates, high quality gluing surfaces are easily attainable.
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm familiar with the Parts Express boxes and for standard .75 cu foot and 1 cu foot boxes they work great.

I guess it's time to start talking to a specialty woodworking store to see what kinds of cutting services they offer.

Or make friends with someone who does have a table saw readily available.

I should note that I'm living in an apartment. So i have room for storing hand tools, but not table saws. And I certainly can't use them anywhere in the apartment complex.
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:49 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've seen thos PE boxes... i can't get excited about them

dave
Old 22nd June 2007, 07:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The PE boxes come in limited finishes and sizes.

The boxes are 3/4" sides with bracing and 1" fronts. You could build a better box, but it would take time.

I am starting to find the limited sizes too limiting for my designs. I need to move to custom boxes.
Old 22nd June 2007, 07:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you don't have the room or budget for a table saw, a handheld circular saw with a simple sawboard (guide) can be just as accurate. Use a factory plywood or MDF edge to make the sawboard's straight guiding edge.

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm
Old 22nd June 2007, 07:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis
I should note that I'm living in an apartment. So i have room for storing hand tools, but not table saws. And I certainly can't use them anywhere in the apartment complex. [/B]
If you live in an apartment, I would recommend a different hobby. Or, sometimes you can find woodshops that will let you pay by the hour to use their equipment.

Even if you have all the pieces cut to size for you, there's still routing the speaker openings, sanding, painting, etc.

The noise, the mess and the smells are just not very compatible with apartment living. Unless you have access to a dedicated workshop somewhere, you are going to have trouble.

Hide this!Advertise here!