CNC cut MDF service or hardware?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like experimenting with new speaker drivers and crossovers.

But I lack much of the space for workworking tools.

Is there any company that could cut MDF into precise rectangular pieces. That way I'd just have to clamp, screw and glue things together.

I've seen various Internet companies that can CNC cut wood, plastic, metal, etc. but there prices for simple rectangular shapes is too expensive.

Alternately, is there a CNC router table that can do 15" by 25" for under say $2000 ? It wouldn't have to be more than about 1/32" accurate for my needs.

As above. Further more, cutting sheets accurately to then clamp and glue together never works perfectly. A better method is to cut some panels accurately and oversize some panels which attach to it. Then flush trim with a router.

See here for the method I use: http://www.vikash.info/audio/W3-871S/build.asp and send me some of your 2k budget and save the rest for drivers and other supplies ;)

V

Third the motion on CNC as an expensive use of technology for simple rectangular (or even straight tapered) cutting of flat panels.

If you're really limited to floor space, even the little job-site table saws available for a few hundred dollars can work quite well. Absolute dimensional accuracy to your noted tolerance is probably less important than you think - it's the tight fitting of the parts and smoothness of cut that matters.

Overcut your parts to a rough size if necessary to simplify handling on a small saw, and plan cutting so that all pieces requiring a common dimension are cut with the same fence setup.

Don't scrimp on the tooling - even on a cheap saw carbide tipped blades should be considered mandatory - along with slow and consistent stock feed rates, high quality gluing surfaces are easily attainable.

I'm familiar with the Parts Express boxes and for standard .75 cu foot and 1 cu foot boxes they work great.

I guess it's time to start talking to a specialty woodworking store to see what kinds of cutting services they offer.

Or make friends with someone who does have a table saw readily available.

I should note that I'm living in an apartment. So i have room for storing hand tools, but not table saws. And I certainly can't use them anywhere in the apartment complex.

The PE boxes come in limited finishes and sizes.

The boxes are 3/4" sides with bracing and 1" fronts. You could build a better box, but it would take time.

I am starting to find the limited sizes too limiting for my designs. I need to move to custom boxes.

Daveis said:
I should note that I'm living in an apartment. So i have room for storing hand tools, but not table saws. And I certainly can't use them anywhere in the apartment complex. [/B]

If you live in an apartment, I would recommend a different hobby. Or, sometimes you can find woodshops that will let you pay by the hour to use their equipment.

Even if you have all the pieces cut to size for you, there's still routing the speaker openings, sanding, painting, etc.

The noise, the mess and the smells are just not very compatible with apartment living. Unless you have access to a dedicated workshop somewhere, you are going to have trouble.

catapult said:
If you don't have the room or budget for a table saw, a handheld circular saw with a simple sawboard (guide) can be just as accurate. Use a factory plywood or MDF edge to make the sawboard's straight guiding edge.

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

Whatever saw or method used, just don't forget the quality of cut is directly related to the tooling and feed rate.

I have always found that a orbital sander is great for cleaning up my edges....

In general my process for speaker cabinet building is:

Measure twice - cut once

Slow and steady cuts

A little overcut is not bad at all

When possible I let the good people at my local lumber store cut the larger pieces

Use either a router or palm (orbital) sander for cleaning the edges...

There you go...very simple rules to live by....and stay away from the PE boxes...not saying that they are bad....it's just gives you a little more satisfaction to create and build something yourself....around your own parameters...when using PE boxes, you are usually stuck with thier parameters....or something close to that.

Just my .02

Wayne

Timn8ter said:
Contact Scott Stein. He builds unfinished boxes or flat packs to spec for hobbyists.
http://www.steinaudio.com

Thanks so much this was what I had in mind. I do the design and someone with more woodworking skills and space does the cutting.

Any idea of the cost for flat packs?

I will contact him soon.

The circular saw route sounds like I could get close to the same accuracy with only one more small tool. I'd have to leave the cutting jig over at my parents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.