Geddes on Waveguides

attachment.php

Attachments

• polarmap-15h-lr96-1300.jpg
    polarmap-15h-lr96-1300.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 442
Hey Paul,

You can do it two ways. For these, I just built a simple off-axis text file for the horn based on Brandon's measurements. You specify a few frequency, angle and dB numbers and it will interpolate the rest.

F:500
H: 15:0
V: 15:0
F:1000
H: 7.5:0 45:-3 67:-5
V: 7.5:0 30:-1 67:-3
F:2000
H: 7.5:0 45:-6 90:-14
V: 7.5:0 30:-6 90:-10
F:16000
H: 7.5:0 30:-6 90:-24
V: 7.5:0 20:-6 90:-43

The more accurate way to do it is to copy/paste all your measurements into a single file like this:

[data]
## EXTENDED DATA ## OFF AXIS <X,Y>
[data]
[data]
[data]

Earl, I'm sorry if you decided I'm just being a troll. I'm really not. I'm trying to learn from those with real-world experience while putting forward my own ideas about what's going on. I would appreciate knowing the answer to this question if you have the data available.

Using your software and measurements, what happens if you use a 10" woofer and a 15" waveguide, crossed at the same frequency as the Summa (well below where the directivities match)?

I didn't really expect to change your mind, Earl (has anyone ever?)

... was not polite and I simply will not deal with people who are not polite.

And I am so swamped with work these days that short answers to questions is all I can afford the time for. That can be a problem for sure. It's an interesting question and maybe I'll get a chance to run that data.

Dr. Geddes, I got to view you new program. Definitely an interesting view of loudspeaker performance. The Raw Driver didn't work on my PC. Is that information actually available? Would it also be possible to click on a non normalized version just for a look? I realize that's not really what your looking to compare, but it would still be educational.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
Jacek -
In ran the app from China on a Chinese language OS and it worked fine. If you can run ".net" apps then my app should work fine. It does appear that the browser has to be Explorer - this seems to be the only browser that will run ".net". ".net" is now the MS Windows basic standard in Win 7.

Dan -
The Raw Driver didn't work on my PC. Is that information actually available? Would it also be possible to click on a non normalized version just for a look?

What do you mean "Raw Driver"? None of the plots shown are "normalized". You are talking about "Polar Map" right?

((((((SNIP)))))))
Dan -

What do you mean "Raw Driver"? None of the plots shown are "normalized". You are talking about "Polar Map" right?
"Yes" on the "Polar Map". Sorry, the Summa just looked too perfect--very close to a simulation.:eek: I have to admit that the Summa and "piston" (what I meant by By "Raw Driver") were the ones I was really interested in and just glanced at the others so I didn't see their more flawed on axis map and was more interested in the response where the red transitions to yellow. I just got home after a stressful 14 hr shift and didn't look too closely and made wrong assumptions. When I click on "piston" I just get "unknown error reading data file". I had assumed that "piston" was going to be the woofer you said you were going to post. Perhaps I shouldn't make assumptions.:D I can see now the others are not EQed so I bet the Summa isn't either. Congratulations on that speaker design! Holy Mackerel.

Dan

Last edited:
George

Loudspeakers and then "Preview data program"

Dan

I can't duplicate your error.

I have two more data sets that I will add shortly which are very interesting. One is the Orion and the other a Behringer two way. The Behringer is exceptional for the money.

They are all passive designs, but EQ does not change the polar aspects. Thats the point, EQ DOES NOT correct the polar response.

Its listed in "Comments", but what one wants in an ideal loudspeaker is some axis where BOTH the response on that axis and the DI are flat - parallel - and the DI is as high as possible. Check out the Summa at 22 degree, which is its design angle.

Last edited:
I should then try on my windows 7 machine. Too bad Macs don't do .net! I assume it is a woofer you use then?

Is it the little Behringer studio monitor with the WG? I've wanted to test one so bad it isn't funny. They may not hold up to the "thermal" abilities you're looking for, but for a bedroom system they may well be hard to beat. The crude measurements I've seen on those look promising. I couldn't decide which version was most worth buying d/t the lack of data avalable.

It's a very useful program for sure. With 7's split screen it could really be cool for side by side comparisons. I have to explore it some more.

Dan

OK, Windows 7 handles it no problem using IE. I can now see the "piston" looks to be a simulation and in the description is says that all plots are normalized +-3dB on axis.

I well understand that EQ doesn't change polar aspects, but it can indeed make for a prettier picture overall--not necessarily, but it can. When I've EQed for on axis response, it's made the speaker look worse overall. I've seen one from Zilch that looked much better EQed on axis.

Dan

Last edited:
OK, Windows 7 handles it no problem using IE. I can now see the "piston" looks to be a simulation and in the description is says that all plots are normalized +-3dB on axis.

Dan

"Piston" is a simulation, originally used for testing. The plots are only scaled/normailized to be 3 dB at the maximum axial point, but not mormalized across frequency.

The .net framework is what all the web based programs being developed for the University of Illinois are based around. His choice of using .net seems to be simply following an industry standard. When we were having an online survey device programed and they switched over to .net for the newest version, I asked why for the same reason being mentioned, not everyone wants to be stuck in that framework's requirements. Well, apparently these programmers (who are mac users) feel it is superior enough to justify switching to it and forcing others to adopt.

Our program works on IE, Mozilla, Chrome, etc without issue. I'm Sure Dr. Geddes could be made to work for anyone, he just needs to become a more savvy .net programmer.

You can't get any .net based program to work on Chrome, or just Dr. Geddes? I have used hundreds of programs programed in the .net framework on Chrome and Firefox without issue.

I have far far far more problems with Java than with .net. Every time I have a program that isn't running properly and take it to a developer to ask whats going the response is almost always, oh thats a known java issue. I can't open SPSS files directly without first opening SPSS the program, its apparently a known SPSS problem caused by the fact that its programmed in Java. Internet explorer was crashing for about a week every time I opened a PDF file on my new work machine, which has Windows 7. Again, apparently its a known java issue that was causing it. People kept blaming the new Windows 7 online, but the solution came with an update to Java.

I'm not a Microsoft lover by any means, but I think choosing to program in .net in this day and age is perfectly reasonable, and has not put anyone out as a result. The problems are not in his choice of programming framework, its the program itself.

Hmm, is this the way you want to go?

.Net is the future, so yes thats the way that I want to go. Whether Windows is the "standard" or the "default" is just symantic. There is basically Windows and Mac and a few other really small players. But there is very little doubt where the mass market is and this isn't likely to change from what I see. I have developed sofware from Dos 2.1, and even did some CP/M and Unix. I have used everything from IBM system360, Cray and VAX and ".Net" is by far and away the best development environment that I have ever seen, light years ahead of anything else. I dragged my feet on switching for years ("Too much to learn"), but now that I have, I wish that I hadn't been so pig headed and switch years ago. Am I tempted to use something else? Not in the slightest.

There is nothing less on my site, only more.