Geddes on Waveguides - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2008, 01:03 AM   #521
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DDF

Yes, it does, statistically. But that's a side track discussion and I'm not going to educate you on it.

You must be kidfding, right? I'm talking acoustic rates here. Tell me something I haven't known for 30 years.

There's a big difference between "politically incorrect" and graceless. What a waste of time, I should have known better.

Why so aggressive! Perhaps I don't understand you, but I certainly didn't say anything that should have offended you.

I really don't understand how you can claim that a 90 degree phase shift (at one frequency as in your crossover example) de-correlates the two sources. So please "educate" me on how that happens.

I also don't understand "I'm talking acoustic rates here. " What is an "acoustic rate"?

You were so reasonable to start, but as soon as I disagreed with you you get nasty. Is that really necessary?
Old 4th January 2008, 01:16 AM   #522
DDF is offline DDF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Earl, I'm upset because you don't discuss, you just disagree, you were just disagreeable/crusty even when I was genuinely offerring my support and condolences and you instantly assume the other party is stupid or inexperienced. What does it take to have a respectful conversation? I've been designing xovers along a parallel path to yours for over 30 years, with a solid audio education and ptrofessional experience, but you don't see me be so assumptive and reductive about your arguments. And we've talked many times before! Think about it. You make it hard to talk with you.

"Uncorrelated' is terminology often used in signal processing for two signals 90 degrees apart. I use it as its part of the familiar lexicon in the field I worked in, a short hand perhaps but a good intuitive description.

In the case I discussed, the trick is maintaining as close to n*90 throughout xover as possible at he listening axis. Anyway, take a look at what I said, and its very easy to model and makes good sense, nit picking about terminology aside.

Anyway, I'm pissed over this and its better to "just walk away".
Old 4th January 2008, 01:51 AM   #523
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DDF
Earl, I'm upset because you don't discuss, you just disagree, you were just disagreeable/crusty even when I was genuinely offerring my support and condolences and you instantly assume the other party is stupid or inexperienced. What does it take to have a respectful conversation? ... Think about it. You make it hard to talk with you.

"Uncorrelated' is terminology often used in signal processing for two signals 90 degrees apart. I use it as its part of the familiar lexicon in the field I worked in, a short hand perhaps but a good intuitive description.
I don't think that you are acknowledging your role in this. You fly off whenever I disagree with you. It sounds like you want to make your statements without any rebuttal.

Yes, I recognize that you were very polite in your first post and I appreciated that. But if you come to a thread bearing my name and expect that I will not challenge statements that you make that I don't agree with then I don't think that you are being fair.

And don't you think that telling me what "correlation" means is talking down to me just a bit!! And it doesn't mean that two signals are 90 degrees apart - thats quadrature.

If you reread the posts you (and anyone else) will see who was polite and who was not. I'll rest on that evidence.

Old 4th January 2008, 02:16 AM   #524
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Yes, I think it is time to move on- certainlty there is no more to add to this current diologue. There should be no more discussion of who is or is not impolite - the discussion should be on topic.

One always has the option of NOT posting.

Variac
Old 5th January 2008, 12:01 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ellyptical wave guide

Quote:
Originally posted by angeloitacare

hi Ged

there is a austrian company, haigner horns, which makes elliptical wave guides.

http://www.theaudioeagle.com/columns/column05.html

They use CNC , quit difficult horns to be done. I had some email exchange with the owner. He sweares that his wave guide is much better than the spherical horns. What is your opinion in this regard ?

Angelo
I've personally built both circular and elliptical horns (and waveguides.)
The only reason I've used elliptical is if the application had a physical constraint that dictated it. In other words, I've used elliptical if circular simply wouldn't fit.

Why else would you go the elliptical route? A circular waveguide is better suited to the woofer's directivity.

round > elliptical
Old 5th January 2008, 12:09 PM   #526
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: ellyptical wave guide

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

Well we all use CNC!!

And who doesn't "swear" to that!? Does he show supporting data, or just the typical meaningless claims of "increased dynamics and detail" and "It sounds cleaner, smoother, more extended and lower distorted"?

I will compare my performance data with anyone on the planet. I won't deal in superlatives with no meaning.
But Earl, his speaker MUST sound better! His compression driver cost FIFTEEN TIMES as much as yours! You're not trying to tell me that there's more to good sound than spending thousands upon thousands on exotic drivers are you?
Old 5th January 2008, 04:31 PM   #527
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: ellyptical wave guide

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Bateman

But Earl, his speaker MUST sound better! His compression driver cost FIFTEEN TIMES as much as yours! You're not trying to tell me that there's more to good sound than spending thousands upon thousands on exotic drivers are you?
I can't wait to see how another price=quality debate comes out. I'm on the price=ego camp.

Old 5th January 2008, 05:50 PM   #528
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

This is another interesting paper. at least in that it appears to discuss the deficiencies of many horn types

http://aa.peavey.com/downloads/pdf/qwp1.pdf

These horns they are advocating would be pretty easy to make, and are of the "conical camp" I believe. Instead of foam at the mouth I think that a 4" half-round would probably work? :

http://www.tapeease.com/2rounds.htm
Old 5th January 2008, 07:16 PM   #529
Banned

What do you think of TOC?

Click the image to open in full size.

Time Offset Correction - Coaxials
Old 5th January 2008, 11:48 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar
What do you think of TOC?

[/URL]
I've seen worse and I've seen better. The response is not as smooth as what I design for.

Hide this!Advertise here!