Geddes on Waveguides - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2007, 01:32 PM   #41
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul W

The larger drivers roll off at HF but I understood response on a plane wave tube to be equivalent to power response...or the same as a "perfect" CD waveguide. Why greater rolloff on a CD waveguide than a plane wave tube?

Not looking into your question in depth, I believe that a plane wave tube is the power response (there are some caveats here at the upper end), but nobody that I know publishes plane wave tube data. Data is always taken on a horn, and ususlly one that is not CD. This gives them a "better looking response".

A true CD waveguide does not have a very flat response when unequalized and would not make for a very imperessive curve on a data sheet.
Old 21st June 2007, 02:02 PM   #42
MBK is offline MBK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Earl,

The design and the polar measurements of my WG prototype are all linked in post #38 of this thread. Here is the main link again to the curves in the "Large midrange for OB" thread:

Post #293 Large midrange for OB

It's not professional grade data but should be ok for a first appreciation. Post #292 has the measurement setup.
Old 21st June 2007, 02:52 PM   #43
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

I've never called them a "phase plug". I called them a "refractive index absorber" in the patent, but thats a bit complex. Nothing really comes to mind.

What about 'HOMLESS' ?
Old 21st June 2007, 04:08 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salas

What about 'HOMLESS' ?

I love it!
Old 21st June 2007, 04:10 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MBK
Earl,

The design and the polar measurements of my WG prototype are all linked in post #38 of this thread. Here is the main link again to the curves in the "Large midrange for OB" thread:

Post #293 Large midrange for OB

It's not professional grade data but should be ok for a first appreciation. Post #292 has the measurement setup.

Its not really very CD, but the data is kind of course and hard to tell what is really going on. I use 7.5 degree increments as a minimum to really see the field.
Old 21st June 2007, 04:30 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Dr. Geddes,

I'm not ready to graduate to compression drivers, so I use wide rangers in my WG's (just a simple 90 square conical). This seems to really help balance the off axis response. Some of my wide rangers require assistance above 5-10khz and those with good high end extension need the top end replaced by a tweeter. Would it be a good idea to put a tweeter inside the same WG, or is that just begging for more problems?
Old 21st June 2007, 04:35 PM   #47
MBK is offline MBK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Yes this first test was a bit limited. I used 75 cm measurement distance to keep it well over the dimensions of the WG, but this did not help my outdoors S/N ratio and made a 3 ms window necessary to get rid of the floor reflection. And this in turn limits the frequency resolution. I'll just have to find a better setup.

Which measurement distances, windowing and excitation signal would you recommend to measure this WG?
Old 21st June 2007, 06:11 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

but nobody that I know publishes plane wave tube data. Data is always taken on a horn, and ususlly one that is not CD. This gives them a "better looking response".

I know a little company called JBL that publishes plane wave tube data on their compression drivers.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2426.pdf
Old 21st June 2007, 08:21 PM   #49
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Brennan
I know a little company called JBL that publishes plane wave tube data on their compression drivers.
Yep.. So does Selenium. They show specs on horns and plane wave guides.
Old 21st June 2007, 08:43 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
Dr. Geddes,

I'm not ready to graduate to compression drivers, so I use wide rangers in my WG's (just a simple 90 square conical). This seems to really help balance the off axis response. Some of my wide rangers require assistance above 5-10khz and those with good high end extension need the top end replaced by a tweeter. Would it be a good idea to put a tweeter inside the same WG, or is that just begging for more problems?

Compression drivers have so many advantages over small tweeters you really should check them out.

I don't use JBL drivers as they are not cost effective, and I wasn't aware of seleniums data sheets. I wish more companies did this as I like seeing both sets of data.

As for measurements its always the greatest distance that wins, but this is always difficult. get as far away as your situation will allow. I used to use my cathedral ceiling living room for reasonable data, but not the factory has a very high ceiling so we get real far away - like 3 meters.

Hide this!Advertise here!