Geddes on Waveguides - Page 436 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2010, 07:31 PM   #4351
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

George

Loudspeakers and then "Preview data program"

Dan

I can't duplicate your error.

I have two more data sets that I will add shortly which are very interesting. One is the Orion and the other a Behringer two way. The Behringer is exceptional for the money.

They are all passive designs, but EQ does not change the polar aspects. Thats the point, EQ DOES NOT correct the polar response.

Its listed in "Comments", but what one wants in an ideal loudspeaker is some axis where BOTH the response on that axis and the DI are flat - parallel - and the DI is as high as possible. Check out the Summa at 22 degree, which is its design angle.

Last edited by gedlee; 26th June 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 26th June 2010, 07:42 PM   #4352
diyAudio Member

I should then try on my windows 7 machine. Too bad Macs don't do .net! I assume it is a woofer you use then?

Is it the little Behringer studio monitor with the WG? I've wanted to test one so bad it isn't funny. They may not hold up to the "thermal" abilities you're looking for, but for a bedroom system they may well be hard to beat. The crude measurements I've seen on those look promising. I couldn't decide which version was most worth buying d/t the lack of data avalable.

It's a very useful program for sure. With 7's split screen it could really be cool for side by side comparisons. I have to explore it some more.

Dan
Old 26th June 2010, 08:17 PM   #4353
diyAudio Member

OK, Windows 7 handles it no problem using IE. I can now see the "piston" looks to be a simulation and in the description is says that all plots are normalized +-3dB on axis.

I well understand that EQ doesn't change polar aspects, but it can indeed make for a prettier picture overall--not necessarily, but it can. When I've EQed for on axis response, it's made the speaker look worse overall. I've seen one from Zilch that looked much better EQed on axis.

Dan

Last edited by dantheman; 26th June 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:06 PM   #4354
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
OK, Windows 7 handles it no problem using IE. I can now see the "piston" looks to be a simulation and in the description is says that all plots are normalized +-3dB on axis.

Dan
"Piston" is a simulation, originally used for testing. The plots are only scaled/normailized to be 3 dB at the maximum axial point, but not mormalized across frequency.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:35 PM   #4355
diyAudio Member

Makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 26th June 2010, 10:01 PM   #4356
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
".net"...standard
Hmm, is this the way you want to go?

MS windows and internet explorer may be a standard in the US, in other places I believe it is more of just a default.

From my point of view you've gone and removed the plots from your site, and narrowed your market reach. And no, I don't use a Mac.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:07 PM   #4357
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
The .net framework is what all the web based programs being developed for the University of Illinois are based around. His choice of using .net seems to be simply following an industry standard. When we were having an online survey device programed and they switched over to .net for the newest version, I asked why for the same reason being mentioned, not everyone wants to be stuck in that framework's requirements. Well, apparently these programmers (who are mac users) feel it is superior enough to justify switching to it and forcing others to adopt.

Our program works on IE, Mozilla, Chrome, etc without issue. I'm Sure Dr. Geddes could be made to work for anyone, he just needs to become a more savvy .net programmer.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:14 PM   #4358
diyAudio Member

It won't work on Chrome for me. I didn't try Firefox. So far IE is it. I can't get Mac to do it either.

Dan
Old 26th June 2010, 11:11 PM   #4359
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
You can't get any .net based program to work on Chrome, or just Dr. Geddes? I have used hundreds of programs programed in the .net framework on Chrome and Firefox without issue.

I have far far far more problems with Java than with .net. Every time I have a program that isn't running properly and take it to a developer to ask whats going the response is almost always, oh thats a known java issue. I can't open SPSS files directly without first opening SPSS the program, its apparently a known SPSS problem caused by the fact that its programmed in Java. Internet explorer was crashing for about a week every time I opened a PDF file on my new work machine, which has Windows 7. Again, apparently its a known java issue that was causing it. People kept blaming the new Windows 7 online, but the solution came with an update to Java.

I'm not a Microsoft lover by any means, but I think choosing to program in .net in this day and age is perfectly reasonable, and has not put anyone out as a result. The problems are not in his choice of programming framework, its the program itself.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:45 PM   #4360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Hmm, is this the way you want to go?
.Net is the future, so yes thats the way that I want to go. Whether Windows is the "standard" or the "default" is just symantic. There is basically Windows and Mac and a few other really small players. But there is very little doubt where the mass market is and this isn't likely to change from what I see. I have developed sofware from Dos 2.1, and even did some CP/M and Unix. I have used everything from IBM system360, Cray and VAX and ".Net" is by far and away the best development environment that I have ever seen, light years ahead of anything else. I dragged my feet on switching for years ("Too much to learn"), but now that I have, I wish that I hadn't been so pig headed and switch years ago. Am I tempted to use something else? Not in the slightest.

There is nothing less on my site, only more.

Hide this!Advertise here!