Geddes on Waveguides - Page 403 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2010, 03:55 PM   #4021
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone!

I have a simple task of taking 1/2" wood and routing out holes equal to the measurements on those spreadsheets.

I would love to get the spread sheet broken down to 1/2" chunks so I can match the angles with router bits.

Then glue all the pieces together to make a simples waveguide out of wood.\

Im just trying to get a workable molding. The DDS OS waveguide is very hard to source, Geddes doesnt sell his waveguides alone any more. It would be nice ot source a GOOD OS waveguide.

Last edited by doug20; 26th February 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 26th February 2010, 04:39 PM   #4022
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
Geddes doesnt sell his waveguides alone any more. It would be nice ot source a GOOD OS waveguide.
Just to be clear, I did, but I found that there was no value in it for me. I believe that this is why there aren't any on the market right now. It seems like a simple part, and maybe it is if you have a lot of money for tooling, etc. but in small lots its very expensive and people just don't want to pay a price that is interesting to a manufacturer.

Some time ago there was a long thread about making waveguides. The overwhelming postion at that time was that they would be easy to make and that I was just gouging the market. OK, where are they then? That thread was the reason that I stopped selling them. Simply put the waveguide, foam plug and mounting plate are the key to what I make and sell and represent the greatest value-added by far. I am not willing to give this away without due compensation for this value added.

I don't make stand alone waveguides, they are molded into a custom baffle. It is extra work for me to cut them out. I have, and will, sell the baffles with foam plug and mounting plate. Just contact me on the side because I do not advertise this. But be fore warned, they are not cheap.
Old 26th February 2010, 05:59 PM   #4023
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

After going through months of effort and lots of resin, cloth, foam, wood, plastic, sandpaper, and filler putties, I can confirm- one-offs are exceedingly obnoxious to do in synthetic materials. My production method wasn't ideal either, however. If I had it to do over, I'd do it in wood rings. The results I'm getting are exceedingly nice, but I'm nearing $150 in materials and a minimum of 40 "pure" work hours (no downtime, that's all spraying, spreading, sanding, cutting time). One can go quick and dirty, I got usable results from a foam mold and a plaster cloth layup, but

After all these months, I'm being a little anal about the result- I want nothing less than complete perfection, as I'm so vested in this.

Next ones I make with wood and a router. In retrospect, that would have been much MUCH easier and cheaper. It'd also be a good excuse to upgrade the router head to a 3hp unit. It's currently a 1.75 porter cable but I'd like a little more oomph for when I'm doing larger-scale router ops.
Old 27th February 2010, 07:01 AM   #4024
diyAudio Member

Hi Earl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or what.
Not sarcasm, just curiosity. I do not understand how it could be possible to establish the Thiele-Small parameter values for a given driver without physically handling the device. Paranormal activity is the only explanation that I can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
It would even work for compression drivers if measured on a plane wave tube.
I think we just touched the device.... :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th February 2010, 07:14 AM   #4025
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe by "touched" he means- mechanical attachment of mass or resistance to the diaphragm
Old 27th February 2010, 07:58 AM   #4026
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
Use JohnK's, catapult's or my spreadsheet.
Hi JoshK,

Could you please post a link to your latest spreadsheet. I currently have a copy of OS WG 2.xls, and when I increase the value of the initial exit angle, the radius of the waveguide throat decreases - it does not stay at the specified value. (I have changed the driver exit angle radians formula from =6*PI()/180 to =C10*PI()/180).

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th February 2010, 08:14 AM   #4027
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
I believe by "touched" he means- mechanical attachment of mass or resistance to the diaphragm
Hi badman,

Thanks for the clarification. I really must learn how to interpret Earl's statements :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th February 2010, 11:31 AM   #4028
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Hi JoshK,

Could you please post a link to your latest spreadsheet. I currently have a copy of OS WG 2.xls, and when I increase the value of the initial exit angle, the radius of the waveguide throat decreases - it does not stay at the specified value. (I have changed the driver exit angle radians formula from =6*PI()/180 to =C10*PI()/180).

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards,

David
Here is the link to mine: http://www.musicanddesign.com/codes/OS_wave_guide.zip
Old 27th February 2010, 01:06 PM   #4029
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
After going through months of effort and lots of resin, cloth, foam, wood, plastic, sandpaper, and filler putties, I can confirm- one-offs are exceedingly obnoxious to do in synthetic materials. My production method wasn't ideal either, however. If I had it to do over, I'd do it in wood rings. The results I'm getting are exceedingly nice, but I'm nearing $150 in materials and a minimum of 40 "pure" work hours (no downtime, that's all spraying, spreading, sanding, cutting time). One can go quick and dirty, I got usable results from a foam mold and a plaster cloth layup, but

After all these months, I'm being a little anal about the result- I want nothing less than complete perfection, as I'm so vested in this.

Next ones I make with wood and a router. In retrospect, that would have been much MUCH easier and cheaper. It'd also be a good excuse to upgrade the router head to a 3hp unit. It's currently a 1.75 porter cable but I'd like a little more oomph for when I'm doing larger-scale router ops.
Do you have any molding that are decent that you would sell?
Old 27th February 2010, 02:25 PM   #4030
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

David, YGM...OSR3

Hide this!Advertise here!