Geddes on Waveguides

I can provide an excel worksheet (size~35k) which allows the display of any variety of profiles based on the oblate spheroid formula. JoshK did most of the work to get it to the current state. That includes a roundover transition to the baffle. I'd be glad to e-mail it by request and/or send it to someone who could provide a "host" site for it.

A question for Earl: In this worksheet the roundover is a circular arc that is tangent with the WG and the baffle. Is there a better shape (maybe a segment of a spiral) for the transition from the waveguide to the baffle?

Im looking for the OS waveguide formula/spreadsheet so I can start to get one built.

Does it exist anywhere?

The OS wave guide throat properties can be calculated directly in the sheet I developed:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just enter the throat radius, throat angle and exit angle. The spread sheet lists the X value where Y = throat radius with the specified angle along with a list of X,y coordinates.
The sheet can be downloaded here.

Im looking for the OS waveguide formula/spreadsheet so I can start to get one built. Does it exist anywhere?

Hi doug20,

If you are familiar with Hornresp, simply use the Horn Segment Wizard tool to design any OS waveguide you wish, and then export the Schematic Diagram horn data. Note that the throat entry half-angle AT does not necessarily have to be 0 degrees.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• OS1.png
    OS1.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 361
  • OS2.png
    OS2.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 356
Does that spreadsheet represent Geddes waveguides?
I cannot confirm that one way or the other.
the spreadsheet says
Oblate Spheroid formula courtesy Earl Geddes
are you avoiding answering the question for commercial reasons?

Equally we can all see that your implementation uses a radius at the mouth that the spreadsheet omits.
You could easily and truthfully confirm that the Gedlee waveguide is not the same.
More helpfully you could tell us that part is true and part is untrue and go on to show us how to do it properly.

I totally agree...however, it might promote an unwanted result: That someone else would recognize an area for improvement and get there first. :confused: :soapbox:

doug20, ygpm
I would think it would be a different set of tradeoffs. Bear in mind that we are dealling with a wide band width. The OSWG performs well at the highest frequency the throat is designed for. The foam is a very important part of the design. Without it, the performance is not so good. But more important seems to be the match between the driver and the horn/guide.

the spreadsheet says are you avoiding answering the question for commercial reasons?

Equally we can all see that your implementation uses a radius at the mouth that the spreadsheet omits.
You could easily and truthfully confirm that the Gedlee waveguide is not the same.
More helpfully you could tell us that part is true and part is untrue and go on to show us how to do it properly.

What I meant was that I cannot confirm the implimentation because I did not write it. The critrical part is the initial angle and John seems to get that right. The equations that he is using are correct.

Use JohnK's, catapult's or my spreadsheet, or presumably McBean's HornResp, and you get the OS profile. I understand if Dr. Geddes doesn't want to confirm our results, but the equation is readily available, it comes from math/physics, specifically OS coordinate transformation to solve a class of (partial) differential equations.

I have not verified JohnK's or Dennis's results (catapult). However, both these guys have very strong math backgrounds and the equation is straightforward, so I have zero doubt they did it right. Someone mentioned some while ago that the results were confirmed from one to the other.

The only non-trivial part is solving for a non-zero initial exit angle. I solved it analytically, as I found it a fun excercise to dust off some math skills. I think Dennis solved it numerically. Either way works.