The strangest thing - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2006, 06:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Intersting driver.

Can the spec's be trusted? Qe = .38 and 99 dB efficiency seem an unlikely combination.
Old 10th April 2006, 07:15 AM   #12
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

Supravox it's a very serious company and with a lot of experience in building drivers.
But....like any other "marketing" things.....I'm not sure about Qe. but I have a PA driver with a same SPL and YES it's equal with 285.
With a very small power tube amp the all room is full of music.
Certainly need a tweeter to add.Mybe to cutt of was about 5khz.
I search on the net to find a tweeter with 98-100db and 1" -maybe horn-titanium to put that inside on the dust cap.
Old 10th April 2006, 07:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

hi nielso

in fact given the size of the driver it may have amazing mids, it may do better regarding IM that your upper fullrange driver.

although bass is gonna be a problem for your midrange and upper range clarity if you listen a bit loud

here is how i would see it :

coaxialy mounted super tweeter covering 10 k and up (this is just ONE octave, remember) , likely a small neo, so there isnt too much interferences with the mids as your supravox is running up high. You don't have to remove the dustcap or anything if you have a DEQX to time align the drivers.

active subwoofer below 80hz with steeep slope to the supravox.

like that you have one driver to cover 2 octaves on the bottom range, one to cover one octave on the top range, and the last one covering the 7 most important octaves, you are almost in the fullrange formula, but liberated of IM distortion : a 12" reproducing almost no bass, so having near zero excursion, is the best you could find.

on the subject and regarding IM distortion, i don't think IM would be worse on a 12" fullrange than on a 6" , quite the contrary. In fact the worse thangs i can think of regarding IM are the small fullranger like the CSS or tangbands around wich there is such a hype
Old 10th April 2006, 08:05 PM   #14
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The strangest thing

Quote:
Originally posted by Nielsio
Well peoples, right now I'm listening to a very abnormal speaker system. Normally, I have an open-baffle speaker with a 12" Supravox and an 8" AER, XO at 300 hz. But I wanted to try something different. So I've put the entire speaker on a box, so that my 12"-ers are about 2 feet from the ground, and I've connected them full-range (AERs do nothing now).

The Supravoxes are pretty wide-band themselves (to ~7 khz), but with brute force equalization (Behringer Ultracurve) they now extend way up ~16/17/18 khz.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/supravox/eng...285%20GMF.html

The results: I have to admit, this sounds pretty amazing. I have to get a better measurement, and fix some bumps, but the potential is so high! I hear more detail / differentiation of instruments etc than with my normal configuration.

With a top-end full-ranger you can't equalize that much LF, but with a low-end full-ranger, you can equalize a whole lot of extra HF, right?
http://www.supravox.fr/mesures/mes285GMF2.htm

The driver has quite good linear decay past 2 kHz - typically 15 db down before the signal becomes "hashy". Perhaps more importantly the time magnitude for that spectrum is less than .25 mil. sec.s. (..and probably a good bit less than that).

The serious compromise comes in between 600 Hz and 2 kHz, particularly with the 2 kHz ridge.

Of course the driver is worse below the 15db threashold with a longer decay.. BUT subjective detail typically has more to due with the initial decay and its time magnitude.

From 300 Hz to 1 kHz the AER will likely be "cleaner", but clarity is more important at higher freq.s and the AER will most certainly have a cavity and edge profile resonance as a result of the dual cone that likely be worse than the Supravox above 1 kHz. Additionally, you need to factor in the negative qualities of the crossover. All of this meaning that it isn't to surpising you prefer the Supravox.

The biggest problem will be directivity at higher freq.s, however if you eq. it flat off-axis while the driver is at the 0'degree mark (..i.e. driver fireing forward into room (0 degree) and you listening off-axis (say 30 degrees off) with a flat eq'ed response), then stereo seperation will improve.

Hide this!Advertise here!