how to avoid transmission line resonance with front and rear firing dipole tweeters? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2007, 03:16 AM   #1
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how to avoid transmission line resonance with front and rear firing dipole tweeters?

Quote:
Originally posted by Linkwitz
There is not much sense in building a dipole speaker with two small closed box speakers driven in opposite phase, when one of the objectives is to remove the sound character that boxes imparts. The two boxes a can be joined at their backs, though, and the connecting wall removed b.

Since the two cones move back and forth in unison, there is little air pressure inside the enclosure b at very low frequencies. When the internal length L becomes half wavelength, there is a sharp resonance of the transmission line between the cones, causing a severe dip and peak irregularity in the frequency response. The resonance occurs when L = lambda/4
Does this phenomenon also apply to dipole (ie front and rear firing) midrange/tweeters? I'd like to maintain dipole radiation throughout the entire spectrum of audible noise and this could be very detrimental to my design. For simplicities sake, lets assume the ribbons are each <3.5" deep. This places the driven elements 8" apart from each other.

8=lambda/4.
lambda=32,
lambda=13,397/32,
lambda=418.65hz

How does Linkwitz avoid this phenomenon with his front and rear firing Milleniums?
Old 14th June 2007, 05:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can avoid that by dimension the cabinet correctly.
Old 14th June 2007, 08:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: how to avoid transmission line resonance with front and rear firing dipole tweete

Quote:
Originally posted by thadman
How does Linkwitz avoid this phenomenon with his front and rear firing Milleniums?
I would imagine he stuffs the line as heavily as required to damp the resonance frequencies. It's what I'd do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Keruskerfuerst
You can avoid that by dimension the cabinet correctly.
Could you explain further?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th June 2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: how to avoid transmission line resonance with front and rear firing dipole tweete

Quote:
Originally posted by thadman
What you are citing from Linkwitz is regarding to two cone drivers in one box, sharing a common back volume.
The Millenium drivers are closed in the back, so this phenomenon does not apply.
Old 14th June 2007, 03:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry for my awful english..

Iím from italy and Iím not able to write very well

I think that what Rudolf wrote is correct, the described phenomenon of resonance regards two speakers sharing the same volume. Millenium tws have separate volumes..

Iíve made a prototype of dipole speaker like the one suggested in a figure of the Linkwitz site.

Here are some photos..

Click the image to open in full size.

Iíve investigated about the resonance described by Linnkwitz but I was not able to find this type of problem.. My prototype seems not to have this issue.

Any suggestion and comment is well accepted..

Thanks
Old 14th June 2007, 05:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It appears you have front and rear firing cone midranges. How much more energy is required to drive them into xmax at high frequencies (say 160-200hz) as compared to a conventional open baffle?
Old 14th June 2007, 06:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It appears you have front and rear firing cone midranges. How much more energy is required to drive them into xmax at high frequencies (say 160-200hz) as compared to a conventional open baffle?

From an aesthetic, diffraction, and perhaps cleaner rear radiation standpoint, having dedicated rear firing cone midranges (down to 160/200hz) would be very nice. I wouldn't have to transition (from an aesthetic and diffraction point of view) from the 8" deep midrange cabinet to the open baffle panel of the RS225s. If I decided to preserve the roundover down the entire length of the cabinet, the cone midranges would be within a 4" deep quasi u-frame creating a resonance. If I went with front and rear firing cone midranges, that resonance could be avoided by seperating the air volumes of the midrange drivers.

The Daytons aren't that expensive to begin with and justifying an extra $100-140 for rear radiating drivers would be very easy.
Old 14th June 2007, 07:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From an easthetic, diffraction...
Sorry thatman but I donít understand if u r talking to me

Iím not so able to understand English correctly

If u r talking to me I could answer that separating air volumes of midrange could be a good idea regarding resonance but I think that the important ďno box soundĒ of the open baffle will be lost..

I have think a lot about the resonance problem due to the length between drivers..

My opinion is that sound wave stars from the back of each driver, go towards the other driver and meet the other loudspeaker wave that is reverse of phase.. In that point we probably have the waves deletion..

I ďprobablyĒ could be in wrong..

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!