altec 807-8z

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Use them from 500 hz on up with a proper horn. Some people cross at 800hz, 1200 hz; whatever. But you can go as low as 500.

As I recall the 807 used the high power handling Symbiotic diaphragm which most Altechies think is a little raw sounding and not quite as extended in the highs as the aluminum ones.

What I'd do with them is get some aluminum diaphragms from Great Plains. I'd get a pair of 811B horns for them and use them with model 416 woofers in a proper vented box. For a crossover I'd build a clone of the Model Nineteen crossover.

Values change on a daily basis. Check ebay.

ok

they have:

H-811B on horn part (metal)

and on driver:

807-8Z and 391132.

I have 2 of these.

got them for free. :))

quite large.

i will try and get photos in next day or so.

need to find a nice 15in driver for lows now.

also i read about replacing the diaphragm on compression driver for one that has a smoother HF response...

any thoughts??

Geek----My advice is to crossover at 1200 hz using the Model 19 crossover. That crossover EQs the compression driver for extended high frequency response.

Get aluminum diaphragms from GPA.

Use an 8 ohm Altec 416 woofer.

My advice and opinions.

Attachments

• n1201-8a.jpg
    n1201-8a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 340
i tried them.

ok i connected them up.

they both work.. but run w/o any x-over a little shouty.... yeah i know they at least need a series cap.. but i had them at low volumes.

so will that model 19 x-over relieve some of that shout?

also what would be the spl for 1 watt with the x-over? any BSC comp?

thanks!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/

Geek--This site has the Altec drawings for the Nineteen cabinet, from them you can see volume and venting. The Nineteen cabinet was larger than previous similar models and made deeper bass. The site also has a great deal of Altec crossover information including Model Nineteen crossover info.

Any Alnico magnet 8 ohm 416 would work, the 416-8B is widely available. Most earlier 416s were 16 ohms and wouldn't work properly with a Nineteen crossover. Later ferrite magnet 416s have different TS specs but were used by Altec in the last Nineteens and are said to sound very good, I never heard one myself.

The Nineteen crossover will most certainly tame the driver and horn. Note that when listened too alone without a woofer all compression drivers will sound lousy.

I'm not sure about that 35ohm pot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.