diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   The personal planars (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/10320-personal-planars.html)

haffe 25th January 2003 04:03 PM

The personal planars
 
Has anyone on the forum tried building a pair of these? http://www.decware.com/panels.htm
They strike me as the perfect speakers for my computer.

DrDave 25th January 2003 05:06 PM

I made them. The physical principle is so neat I had to try them. Greatly amused some of the engineers at work.

They were surprisingly good. Steve is right that they're very revealing of small detail. The replaced the satelites on my Cambridge Soundworks so I was using a cheap sub with them.

There are a few posts about them on the Decware board (some from me)

They've since been superceded by Jordan JX92's as my computer speakers.

haffe 25th January 2003 05:17 PM

Ok. Thanks. I thought it seemed strange that I never had heard of them if they were as good as the site claimed, but I guess I will trust you. You wouldn't care to give a estimate of the project costs and the difficulty of construction them?

Bose(o) 25th January 2003 07:41 PM

Better than my Monsoons??? I gotta' try 'em any how!

planet10 26th January 2003 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bose(o)
Better than my Monsoons??? I gotta' try 'em any how!
Monsoons are pretty good. Most people have no idea because they only have them hooked to their 'puters.

I have a friend who i set up with a top notch Arcam CD player plugged directly into his MM1000s. It reveals just how good these things can sound.

dave

diypole 26th January 2003 08:39 PM

Dave D.,
Could you elaborate on the sound of the Monsoons? The distributed mode thing is interesting, but i figured if it was good it would have caught on by now, since there is a couple "high enders" using it.
Perhaps a new thread, or is this old hat (site search)?
Regards, Jason

planet10 26th January 2003 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by diypole
Could you elaborate on the sound of the Monsoons? The distributed mode thing is interesting, but i figured if it was good it would have caught on by now, since there is a couple "high enders" using it.
Monsoons aren't distributed mode. They are push-pull magnetostats. Monsoon licensed the tech from Bruce Thingpen (Emminent Techology IIRC) and figured out how to manufacture them for almost nothing. Bruce's hi-end versions start at somewhere on the far side of $1.5k.

Like any planar they get kind of beamy, and they have some resonances (taken care of in the built-in amps) from cavity resonances that keep them from being S-of-T-A. And the amps & sub boxes can be cleaned up alot. But if someone wanted a budget home setup, two pair of these stacked with stereo woofers aren't bad -- even a single pr beats a similarily budgeted shelf-system. Each set comes with what is essentially a passive-pre so you just need to add a serious source and away you go.

dave

Marmaduke 27th January 2003 03:41 AM

Hey DrDave,

If you can, i was wondering if you could give a estimate of how much it cost to make a pair of these. I"m a broke college student :) and am really interested in these but dont' want to waste $20 for a password if its gonna cost a couple hundred dollars to build a pair that i can't afford to build. i woudl appreciate it

thanks

cowanrg 27th January 2003 03:54 AM

i would actually be interested in building a pair of these for fun. maybe a bigger pair, like the size of a bookshelf speaker too....

but before i get the plans, it would be nice to now average time and cost to build them...

Quote:

Originally posted by planet10


Monsoons aren't distributed mode. They are push-pull magnetostats. Monsoon licensed the tech from Bruce Thingpen (Emminent Techology IIRC) and figured out how to manufacture them for almost nothing. Bruce's hi-end versions start at somewhere on the far side of $1.5k.

Like any planar they get kind of beamy, and they have some resonances (taken care of in the built-in amps) from cavity resonances that keep them from being S-of-T-A. And the amps & sub boxes can be cleaned up alot. But if someone wanted a budget home setup, two pair of these stacked with stereo woofers aren't bad -- even a single pr beats a similarily budgeted shelf-system. Each set comes with what is essentially a passive-pre so you just need to add a serious source and away you go.

dave


planet10 27th January 2003 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Marmaduke
If you can, i was wondering if you could give a estimate of how much it cost to make a pair of these. I"m a broke college student :) and am really interested in these but dont' want to waste $20 for a password if its gonna cost a couple hundred dollars to build a pair that i can't afford to build. i woudl appreciate it
Come on guys. This is how Steve makes a living. This is not the kind of thing to be discussed on diyAudio.

dave :captain:
(in official capacity)


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:02 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2