The personal planars - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2003, 04:58 AM   #31
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
i got all my parts minus the drivers from the hardware store (not thrift shopping either...) for around $30. not too bad, considering i even got mahogany wood pieces, and some other nice stuff. could have done it for $20 probably. the drivers will be a little hard to find though. i have the tweeters, but not the bass drivers.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDave
The biggest cost will probably be the drivers. You need ones with a vented pole piece. I got some JBL car speakers that were more expensive than needed. I think almost anything would do.

Outer diameter has to fit inside a 4" plastic drain coupling.

For me, the hardest part to find was a tweeter diaphragm to seal the pole piece hole.

The other stuff you need is cheap. Plastic drain coupling, aluminium rod, bondo (I used wood instead), some wood scraps (I laminated tongue depressors), plastic heat shrink storm window plastic file, double sided tape, some sealant and glue.

The only tools I used were a drill and a dremel to rout the wood piece. Steve's bondo method would be easier.
Old 1st February 2003, 10:55 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For me, the hardest part to find was a tweeter diaphragm to seal the pole piece hole.
Sealing the hole in the pole piece ??? I don’t think so. I am looking for a nice 3” to 4” wide-band type. Problem is that those with an aluminium/mylar dustcap all have a too high resonant frequency. (I found some no-names in a surplus store). For the tweeter diaphragm would be a Ping-Pong ball a solution?

I am a bit puzzled if a high resonant frequency is of much concern because the air in the foil cavity acts as a kind of impedance transformer, loading the speaker pretty high acoustically.

Also thinking of coupling the speaker by means of a small exponential horn construction to the foil cavity. This will eliminate standing waves in the pole piece “tunnel” IMHO.

Till later

Old 1st February 2003, 01:20 PM   #33
DrDave is offline DrDave  Canada
diyAudio Member

"For me, the hardest part to find was a tweeter diaphragm to seal the pole piece hole."

These speakers work by using the back of the driver cone to make pressure pulsations in the planar membrane. So you need to seal the centre of the speaker cone not the pole piece itself. i.e. above the pole piece. Should have been more clear.

Hide this!Advertise here!