Beech Edging Band / Tape / Strip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have got a nice bit of beech veneer MDF that I am going to use for some side panels on a pair of speakers but I don't have any strip to go down the edge of the panel (it will be chamfered).

I have seen some at Wicks and also on eBay but both seem to be cheap crap. i.e. not real wood! I can get some real stuff from a timber suppliers but I have to buy a 50m roll for around £25!

So... anyone know where I can get just 5m of real beech edging band? Or even if someone has some and could put a bit in the post to me that would be great!!

Any help appreciated!

Have you used their veneer before? I was going to use some pre-veneered 3/4" MDF I had and just add the edging strip, but it seems I can't really do that when I look at the design. So I am going to have to use 1/2" and veneer the panels myself.

The edging I got from them, as you linked to, has a self adhesive backing that is just ironed on. Is the full-on veneer like that too?
http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/results_fulldetails.asp?prodID=11418

Or will I have to use my own glue? I have some Evo-stick 'Impact' glue that looks like it should be suitable, is that correct?

This will be my first time doing veneer, but at least the panels are small (only 20cm x 25cm).

Cheers!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Sorry, been busy. ;)

They sell pretty good veneer, though if you want figured, it's always best to go up and visit to pick what you like. For plain beech you should be fine mail order. I use wet glue to veneer, but they do sell adhesive sheets that you put between the substrate and veneer then iron, but I have never used them.

Just as a thought, you could use your pre-veneered MDF for the front and back, and use sheet for the sides only. That should cut down the work a little, and if your first attempt isn't quite perfect then at least you have a good finish where it's most obvious.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I only just gave them a call a minute ago but they were busy so said they would call back. Now I already know the answers! :)

The glue sheet is tempting as it seemed to work very well on the edging band that I tested out but I already have some contact adhesive so I think I will just use that.

So... why did Ant use those beads of glue that you have to boil down and apply before it cools and all that hard work, if it could have been done with a normal contact adhesive or an iron on sheet? Is my stuff going to just fall off after a few weeks?! :bawling:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The pearl adhesive is traditional and works well, but is messy and smelly. There is no reason why more modern adhesives shouldn't work, but, personally, I have never had best results with impact adhesive. It's fine for plastic laminates, but doesn't seem to work as well with real wood veneer. I may just be doing it wrong of course! :)

There are plenty of good websites out there, (and threads here!) with veneering tips, so a google may be in order.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.