Viability question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, that depends somewhat.

First, most PA speakers are 8 ohms. the Shivas each have two 8 ohm voice coils, so four of them can be hooked up to produce 4 ohms or 16 ohms.

If your amp outputs more into 4 ohms than 8 ohms, you are in luck. If your amp inputs more into 8 ohms, then you are out of luck unless you can get along with about half the power-only 3 dB down.

The Shivas are rated 87 dB @ 1 Watt/1 Meter. Notice that this is not 2.83 Volts at 1 meter.

The PA speaker is likely around 96 dB @ 1W/1M. Just an average. It might be more, it might be less.

If the Shivas are running at 4 ohms for the four speakers, they will draw 2 watts where the PA draws one. that ups their SPL, relative to the PA speaker, by 3 dB. That brings the Shivas up to 90 dB when playing alongside an 8 ohm PA speaker.

Four speakers mounted in a square pattern-see below-give 6 dB increase in SPL on one watt of power. Look at the pattern. It should liik like this:
OO
OO

Not this:
O
O
O
O

So the Shiva cabinets efficiency raises another 6 dB relative to the PA speaker, for a total of 96 dB. That is the normal SPL for a PA speaker, so you should do alright.

A lot depends on whether your amp is 4 ohms or 8 ohms. If the amp is 8 ohms, you will be 3 dB more senstive relative to the PA speaker but your amp can only deliver half it's rated power into the load. If your amp is 4 ohms, then the Shiva cabinet will be playing at 93 dB relative to the PA speaker, and the PA speaker will likely be a little louder.

Incidentally, I have not built an enclosure with 4 woofers on it arranged in a square. I have read that it works this way, and several knowledgeable members here who have built these enclosures say that the sensitivity does in fact rise about 6 dB when you put them into a squarish array.

I think it will probably be alright.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
How deep and how loud do you have to go? The Eminence Kilomax series, for instance, has a linear throw of 10 mm and maximum throw of 38 mm-each way. I checked with Eminence on this. In other words, it is 20 mm linear and 76 mm maximum peak-to-peak. Their SPL is 97 dB-enough to keep up with most any PA speaker-heck, they are PA speakers.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=113#kilopro

By the way, Adire also sells Eminence-don't know if they sell the Kilomax, or at what price.

If your goal is just to go as far down and as loud as possible, then what is your amp power, at what impedance?

I am not saying the Eminences are better for you than the Shivas. Just throwing out a possible alternative that might be cheaper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.