damaged cone usage (push push?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have 4 MCM 55-1855 drivers, two of which had their cones mashed in by my poor little brother (he's poor 'cos now he owes me his very soul). At any rate, that's a whole lot of speaker just going to waste.

I wanted to challenge myself with my next DIY project, and I was wondering if there was any use for those things in some kind of configuration.

In summary, I have 2 "working" speakers and 2 "ruined" speakers, but it seems like the ruined ones could be useful for something in tandem with the working ones.

Any ideas?

Dave

here.:devily:

Attachments

• mcm.jpg
    mcm.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 356
kneadle said:
OK. I know the cones are damaged because there's the tell-tale buzzing sound. It MIGHT be slight, but I don't know how to fix that.

What are you viewing these pics on skinny? A 4" monitor? :mafioso:

Dave

Is there any damage to teh cones that you can see? I couldn't see any in the pics.. MY MONITOR IS FINE!! :) If we can see thedamage we can fix it.. :D lol

hmm. I may be using the wrong vocabulary.

So, anyway, the little thingy that kids like to mash in, that's what I call a "dustcap." The voice cone is under that, isn't it?

At any rate, the top speaker in the pic is the one that's mashed in. I tried to set the lighting so you could see the shadows, clearly showing how the one goes in and the other goes out.

That's what I can see. I can hear buzzing.

How do I fix that?

Dave

well, I'll be jiggered

Well, now I know that I am truly ignorant. I had never seen the inside of a driver till just now. I thought there was something more than what this pic shows.

Once I took the dustcap off, the buzzing stopped. Seems my brother didn't ruin them after all. Seems I became a DIYer for no reason whatsoever. I better tell him so that he knows he can have his soul back.

In fact, I need to thank him because now I have a new and very enjoyable hobby.

FOUR working speakers. Now what?!? This could be fun.

Attachments

• mcmcoil.jpg
    mcmcoil.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 319
Once these dustcaps are pushed-in (it looks as if it was a paper one) they are not as stiff anymore as before, at least not when they are still pushed in.

You can suck them back in shape carefully (!!!!!!) with a vacuum cleaner.
Maybe they are stiff enough again afterwards. If not, there are two soultions: Either replace them or stiffen them. The former might be difficult because you usually don't get dustcaps around the corner, the latter might be difficult to achieve without adding significant weight.

Regards

Charles

too late

For this one pictured it is too late. I wonder where I might manufacture my own dustcaps...

Of course, that's a problem I can solve by myself. Now I just want a challenging project for four second-rate, partly damaged drivers. Something fun and interesting. I'm definitely thinking of a push-push setup of some kind.

Don't know quite what, though, so I'm still open to ideas.

Thanks

Dave

The reason the speakers buzzed,when the dustcap was pushed in is because the dustcap touched the top of the voice coil former.
I completely pushed in dustcap normally ruins the speaker forever,because it bends or creases the voice coil former,so that a buzzing sound may occur,when the speaker is moving quite far[long cone excersion].
If the voice coil former or bobbin hasn't been bent or creased,then just replace the dustcap after,you hoovered the dustcap back to it's normal shape,or close to it's normal shape.
If the dustcap still looks squashed,then i normally,take a thin long needle and poke out every crease in the paper,and then put some sealer or super glue around the hole where the needle entered.
But if you tore the dustcap to pieces to remove it,then you could make one out of 'sugar' paper[ideally black 'sugar' paper],otherwise it would look really crap,and seal it properly to the cone,to prevent it flapping,when the cone moves about.BUT BE CAREFULL,NOT TO DRIP GLUE ON THE COIL OR MAGNETIC GAP,otherwise you've glued together the voice coil and magnetic gap,which will either make rubbing noises or result in a blown speaker.
The best way to make a new dustcap,is to use the damaged one as a template,even if it's ripped,u can tape it together just to measure it.Then draw around the 'sugar' paper and cut if out using a sharp knife,and glue it carefully to the cone.
If it's the wrong colour,paint it before you put it on the cone,and let it dry,otherwise you get paint dripping all over the voice coil,and magnetic gap.
The answer next time,is fit thin metal grilles on all your mounted speakers,and the unmounted ones put out of reach,or in a secret place.

Why not try adding a phase plug.

Its possable to manufacture a wooden phase plug which, I believe, is glued to the metal core. If done correctly this should improve the sound of the driver. I dont know the exact details but a visit to the Full Range Driver Forum and a search should give you all the information you need.

Shoog

Ok, thanks all. I got the dust cap thing pegged, thanks to all your help.

But the REAL reason I posted in the first place is because I have 4 drivers.

What kind of setup would I enjoy most with four cheap-o drivers?

I'm thinking about some kind of push-push TL design. What do I have to be aware of? There's a thread somewhere that talks about what I have to change in order to measure out a TL design with two drivers...

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.