OB simulation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I'm designing my first OB and need some advice. The speakers are 3 way using two Goldwood GW-1258 woofers, a PAudio WN8S mid, and the Vifa DX25 in a waveguide. I'm shooting for an F3 around 80-100 Hz where it will be crossed to a monopole sub around 60-80 Hz. I've already built a test baffle:

IMAG0087.jpg

A flat baffle needed to be too wide, and Ubaffle could not cross well at 350 Hz. So I decided to try tapered wings folded back. This may not have been the best choice but be that as it may, I'd like to know if this Edge sim is accurate as far as bass response:

4woofers.jpg

This includes the floor image so that's why there is 4 woofers. Also the upper woofer is centered 22" off the ground so I'm wondering if that is really included in the floor image? I have sim using just the lowest woofer also because I wasn't sure.

Thanks for any replies,
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I try to understand what you like to know. First I will tell you; I built my first OB´s in March2007.

They are much different, but I also try this floorsimulation with edge. The different is the "form" from the wall and the drivers are 4 vintage fullrange-drivers in "optimal" positions. So I get a special f-curve to have less problems with position the OB in the room!

I noticed that the frequency-curve, by using the doobling for floorsimulation, not be correct. It will only to be show the deepest frequency.

edge is only for simulation the free hanging baffle. I added for standing on the floor and near by wall- 1 octave! This will be much easier and it´s getting in reality.

If you like to see my actuel open baffle, please visit my "built up" homepage: http://freenet-homepage.de/stratihatti2/page111e1d3fe4a.html

Nice greatings from germany, Hatti

Hi Brandon,
With the tools generally available to us, I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to your question because there are multiple factors at work. The mirror image floor gain is real at low frequency because the driver is only operating in half space. On the other hand, reflectivity of the floor is imperfect and it changes with frequency (carpets etc)...I doubt the Edge can accurately compensate for that.

You've already built the baffle so why not take it outdoors and measure?
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.