Another Home theater speaker thread...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just finished my first active speaker project, and it turned out way better than expected!! So now that I have some more experience i'd like to design some speakers for my dedicated theater that i'm building in the basement...Here's the relative info:

-i'm limited to 12" in depth for each speaker, I could maybe push that to 14" max

-3 identical speakers across the front behind an AT screen

- they will be built into a rigid false acoustically treated wall

-Room dimensions are 14' by 26' long, not all of that is the theater but that's the full size of the room, ceilings will be 7.5' when I'm done with em'. The room will be acoustically treated, but i'd like to build the speakers first and then take measurements and treat as necessary, if that makes sense...

So that's about it, the active crossover worked out really well so I think i'll go active for everything, and i'd like the design to end up being quite effecient maybe mid to high 90's. I was thinking a horn loaded tweeter or a waveguide in wmtmw arrangement possibly using pro drivers. I'd like to have the capability to play at reference levels so 105db for the satellites and 115 for the lfe, not that i'd listen at that volume all that often but i've been known to crank it every now and then:devilr: If I can get away with a two-way at those volume levels down to 80HZ that would be great, just to minimize amp cost, but all the pro drivers i've looked at seem to roll off pretty high, unless I used maybe 2 12"s, but then I might run into issues with the depth of the cab...

So there it is, any advice or suggestions on drivers, other arrangements etc? i've got about $1000 to spend on drivers, and the rest i'll figure out later, I have about 13 channels of gainclone amplification, but i'm not sure if those would suffice for this purpose, what do you think?

Thanks in advance!
Tristan

Not much to say but the JBL 15" 2226 driver models well for a sealed home theater box down to 80Hz.

Could either run it up high to meet a CD/horn combo or cross it around 300Hz and use it as a pure midbass driver.

I've used the Beyma LX60 copy before and it worked very well.

Rob.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Those Sammi sound drivers look interesting, I've checked out a few threads on here about them, and they seem like a good value, can't find them anywhere though....

Question,

in home theater there has been a lot of emphasis put on controlling vertical reflections, which is why all of the mtm, and wmtmw arrangements, but if i'm treating the ceiling do I need to worry about that as much, or even worry at all? i'd still get the reflections off of the floor I guess, is it worth the extra driver cost? Particularily if I'm using pro drivers and won't necessarily need the sensitivity boost from using two woofers?

Thanks!
Tristan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.