Small scale speaker business?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Taperwood said:
I would not discount OB's at all. My nose tells me that a change is brewing in the speaker industry. Look at the work done by Martin King and others on transmission line-type enclosures, etc. It's only a matter of time before people realize they are tired of narrow MT and MTM speakers (even though most sound pretty good), but it's becoming like the tweeter mania of the 1970's. My efforts are going into single driver enclosures, but I also would like to see more OB designs being developed and tweaked.

Granted, but remember that a lot of changes are brought about by the demands of the larger market-place. If someone could produce a fairly wide range (think HT-range - down to 100Hz) OB speaker that was an order smaller than previously 'released', then you might have a huge market. Especially if it runs dual-concentric, and looks good (for SAF, small is one step, ALSO looking good is even better).

Jamo took their step by creating an OB that is a lot smaller than I ever though an OB could be while still producing a fair attempt at "full range".

Maybe an 8" PHL coax, mounted in what looks like a 'picture frame' (here the snake oil comes in, describing the intricacies of the 'frame' and how it enhances the sound), including a vague picture on a fairly benign material as a cover (or not), and a neutral material for the back (think the colour of hessian used on old paintings) to hide the rear of the speaker and the crossover. OK, it's not hi-end hi-fi, but it's more child and disaffected-spouse friendly that exposed workings. Simple as possible crossover. And interesting problem of how to mount it (which would probably have to be integral) and how to produce the best sound from a small OB. But, speakers are always a compromise...

I didn't read every post, but this is something I've wanted to do as well.

I thought about taking on the city I live in. About 1.5 million people in the county I think.

Advertisement is VERY important, but so is word of mouth, local papers.

Once you figure out production, you should probably try and sell to local dealers that already have a store front. Once people are in a store, sound quality sells better then brand names. At least for specialty audio/video stores. Box box stores are going to be brand name only.

It would be tricky, but I think it could be done. For me, MFD woodwork is too time consuming. I think it would take a lot of equipment and CAD programs to do any type of manufacturing. No matter what size company. Hand built just isn't going to cut it. I don't know what it would take to start a company, but if Blows can do it, anything with real quality should have a chance in hell.

hey big will
I think the discussion has outgrown your original intent.
A small scale business for the purpose of an income on the side, (providing speakers for the very narrow niche market of tube amplifier enthusiasts) may be to narrow to be a viable business.
What you are looking at though is by no means mass production,—tube lovers are but a sliver of the audio market. So, given low volume production you'll be looking at a reasonable margin to make it worth your while, AS OPPOSED to just covering costs.
Designing a hi end 'ob' may not serve the market you are hoping for though. As Kensai suggests, the clientele in the market for high end speakers will most likely be conservative; looking for a product that melds with their (expensive) decor—fine furniture style design—or concealed even. These guys and gals have been conditioned to the average 'box' design.
I think given your comments you should be looking at well crafted stylish timber cabinets, with decent quality drivers & components, (perhaps even full range single driver units to keep costs down) which will provide hi quality sound, better than the brand names serving up low end, generic componentry in average enclosures!
I still say "have a crack!"
gazman

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
Woody Allen

Thanks everyone for your insightful opinions

What I'm going to do is build some really nice OB speakers for myself, and demonstrate them to various friends & family. Hopefully word will spread and at least one of them will perhaps buy a pair (quite a few people in our family/friends circle are at least a bit into hifi)

I will listen to their needs and taylor a speaker more suited to them instead of just carbon-copying the ones I have.

Selling manufactured speakers is a whole 'nuther ball game to just building them for fun.
Selling enough to break even requires a pretty substantial investment of time and money. Remember, you have to have a proven design that looks good. Making just one initial pair can be expensive.
Customers are going to want numbers and you have to be able to back up your claims with graphs. This means having something more than Speaker Workshop. There are plenty to choose from but easily run into $$$.
If you have woodworking equipment and can turn out furniture quality cabinetry you're a big step ahead. If not, it's going to be difficult to find a cabinet maker that can build to your specifications without argument AND put a quality finish on for a reasonable price. If they're tooled up for speaker cabinet building they're going to want a quantity purchase, not one-offs. If the cabinet maker is not tooled up for speaker cabinets you may have to train them how to build one correctly.
Not trying to rain on your parade, just being honest.

bigwill said:
Thanks everyone for your insightful opinions

What I'm going to do is build some really nice OB speakers for myself, and demonstrate them to various friends & family. Hopefully word will spread and at least one of them will perhaps buy a pair (quite a few people in our family/friends circle are at least a bit into hifi)

I will listen to their needs and taylor a speaker more suited to them instead of just carbon-copying the ones I have.

I would suggest NOT trying to please all your clients with different unknown designs. Come up with one design that you discover works really well and can make knowing there will be no issues, then sell that design model. It does not take much of a deviation from a given successful box to totally throw off the performance. If you make a different box every build you will have nothing but a series of unproven prototypes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.