centre speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah.... always up late :(

The FR125S or WR125S (cheaper) would work well in rears but they do lack power handling abilities. All depends how loud you want to go. The best option when using those is to set the rears to small and use 2 drivers in a 45° box like the one in the pic. The drivers would live under the grilles and the tweeter would not be required. With this set up, you would place them on the side walls and have 1 driver to the front and one to the rear. With 2 drivers the power handling goes up dramatically, especially when used at over 80Hz only.

You don't need a centre if you listen on axis and it's only a benefit for locking the dialogue to the screen when sitting off axis. With only 2 fronts (L&R), there are no tonal matching issues.... just a thought. You are better off keeping the hybrid Richters as your L&R if you like the sound.

IMO, I would rather add a sub first to a HT than a centre as it would be more beneficial to the illusion.

With the centre you would use only 1 tweeter and not the 2. To wire the 2 woofers instead of 1, double the inductor value (most of the Richters have a 1st order on the woofer with an inductor) and wire the drivers in series. That will leave the SPL roughly the same and you shouldn't have to touch the L-Pad. If it's a second order, then the cap gets halved and the inductor gets doubled in size.

Attachments

• rear speaker.jpg
    rear speaker.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 206
Hi

I believe the most important point of building a centre speaker would be the timbre match with your main speakers when considering the purpose of home theater. You know, there're so many moving sound effects between the three front speakers in many movies.

Besides, human vocal also is another important mission for centre speaker, it also will cause some problem if the timbre of centre speaker is not match well with your main speakers.

Just offered some experience of mine for your reference.

thanks for the input guys
the wiring suggestion will get me sorted Rabbitz,
yes monoceros that seems to be the sugestion that is coming through, and hopefully given the similarity in drivers and enclosures between the three it wont be too bad. I'll go with it for now and see what happens.
i'm not sure about the central rear though Rabbitz, it seems strange to have the left rear channel sound coming from a point potentially on my right, as well as the right channel.?
I was thinking of two small sigle driver units, that should be adequate in terms of spl especially if I hook up a subwoofer too. I saw a design on the net a few days ago for a very sweet looking pair using the fr125s, very neat finish, this guy is using them for computer speakers, but they would be perfect (just cant find the site right now dammit)
Rabbitz have you seen any good deals in oz for subs and sub amps? ther is not so much choice here i think at least in lower price ranges (it's all relative eh!)

If you are talking about the centre rear speaker, I found it mostly a waste of time and I do have one in use. There's not a problem with L&R signals as the signals going to the centre rear are a discrete channel in 6.1 but mixed from L&R for 5.1.

Send me an email through my site and I will give you some prices on the S200W and the S400W . I have wholesale access to both and don't want to mention the price here.

For a complete sub kit, have a look at The Loudspeaker Kit .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.