Attatching grill cloth - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2007, 04:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Attatching grill cloth

I had a friend help me with the box building for a pair of speakers I recently built and he had a great idea for doing the grills. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but this is what he did.

He built a slim wood frame for the grills and before fastening the four sides together cut a narrow grove down the back of each piece. I stretched thin fabric over the frame and used screen door rubber tubing to attach the fabric to the frame. It was super easy and would be easy to replace the fabric if needed.

Steve
Old 24th May 2007, 06:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very practical and a nice idea.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 24th May 2007, 06:26 AM   #3
bastek is offline bastek  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't get it. My parts express grills have a groove in the back. They came without instructions. I was about to prepare some contact cement, when i read this. How exactly you do that?
Thanks.
Old 24th May 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorta like a window screen, brilliant!
Old 24th May 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bastek
I don't get it. My parts express grills have a groove in the back. They came without instructions. I was about to prepare some contact cement, when i read this. How exactly you do that?
Thanks.
Here's a link to "Home Tips DIY." It shows how to replace the fabric in a window screen. The same principle should work for speaker grilles that have the groove on the back of the frame.

http://hometips.com/articles/repair_window_screen.html
Old 24th May 2007, 01:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You can also use the screen door material itself as the grille "cloth" - use the black stuff and mount it at a 45 degree angle so it forms a diamond pattern - you end up with a grille you can see the drivers through and a hi-tech look. Similar to a perforated metal screen but obviously easier to make.
Old 25th May 2007, 02:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can buy a small tool that has a wheel with a groove that you run over the rubber tubing to press it into the groove. The tubing is round, hollow and has small ridges running the length of it.

Steve
Old 25th May 2007, 03:04 AM   #8
bastek is offline bastek  United States
diyAudio Member

I' ll try that tomorrow. Thanks
Old 25th May 2007, 10:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

To help with getting the tubing in the groove,stretch the tubing with one hand and use the roller in the other hand.At the end of each side,release the tension and it will strech back to fill the slit.

And yes,spend the 3-4 dollors on the roller! It will avoid you putting a hole in the grill cloth with a screwdriver!!!

When you get the tubing done,use a razor blade between the tubing and the outside edge of the groove to cut off the extra grill cloth.

(I used to redo screens for a local lumberyard when in highschool for extra $$)

Hide this!Advertise here!