Best 6x9 out there .... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2003, 03:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Best 6x9 out there ....

Ok, can someone tell me which are the best 6x9 speakers out there right now in terms of bass response and output. All ideas are welcomed.
Old 23rd January 2003, 07:26 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Best 6x9 out there ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Radik
Ok, can someone tell me which are the best 6x9 speakers out there right now in terms of bass response and output. All ideas are welcomed.
I don't know which one qualifies for these honours, but the 4 ohm Delco 6x9 (tan/brown color with a whizzer) is one awesome bang for the buck full-range. I found mine for $2 CAD at a garage sale...

dave
Old 23rd January 2003, 02:15 PM   #3
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

uhh, about how old was that 6x9? If we are thinking of the same tan, brown, paper looks like twenty cents maybe less, 6x9 then I am truely confused. i remember measuring ohm-age and it read 16 ohms...Driver was from a 6000, btw.
Old 23rd January 2003, 04:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My old 7'' x 10'' Kenwood KFC-7180. 240W.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd January 2003, 05:10 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bose(o)
uhh, about how old was that 6x9? If we are thinking of the same tan, brown, paper looks like twenty cents maybe less, 6x9 then I am truely confused. i remember measuring ohm-age and it read 16 ohms...Driver was from a 6000, btw.
Don't know how old it was. Got is at a garage sale. There is also a 10 ohm one that looks the same. I haven't listened to them extensively, but on 1st pass they don't seem to be as good (i have 3 sets of those & was thinking of a 30 ohm speaker for something to use with experiments in OTL). They are actually quite nicely constructed.

Most of the 3-way 6x9 coaxes are more of a marketing exercise.

dave
Old 23rd January 2003, 06:08 PM   #6
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Connectors and speaker finish

Hi, for my own project I was wondering how you connected your speaker wire to the connectors on the driver. Did you use those clips where you slide the connector on? Forget what they are called.

How did you finish the speaker? Fix imperfections how? (wood puddy (I think that's it)) paint (which type?) gloss? sanding involved? thanks a lot.

About the 6x9s, New GM vehicles like the Sunfire have some decent sounding speakers, low frequencies are good for factory. You can get the Monsoon replacement 2-ohm speakers for 9.99 from mass electronics.
Old 23rd January 2003, 07:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I used 8 gauge copper wire (the one used to feed car amplifier) and since the terminal were too small, I solder them directly. The finish is done with high-gloss plastic paint. These loudspeakers are a kind of experimentation prototype etc Yes you fill all the holes with wood putty and sand very well. The surface has to be perfect! Not just ok, perfect! because high-gloss black easily show all the defects. You must also paint it with a pain gun. 7-10 coats with wet sanding between.
Old 23rd January 2003, 10:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default the KEF B139

well, it's almost 6 * 9 and has a BL product which will knock your socks off.
Old 24th January 2003, 01:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanx for the help guys . but let me tell you the range i'm willing to spend. Not more than $100 US for the pair. So I still welcome any ideas you'll got.
Old 24th January 2003, 01:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I paid mine around 250$ CDN (probably 160 US) 8 years ago.

Hide this!Advertise here!