leak sandwich woofer equivalent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Leak 600 repairs

I have just refurbished a pair of Leak 600, although I got the woofer surrounds professionally replaced by Speakerworks in Concord, Sydney, it was pricey and more expensive than a replacement. I think the Peerless SLS 830669 fits the bill electrically and physically. The cut-out is almost identical to that for the Leak 12" sandwich woofer but the fixing holes are slightly different. The main difference is that it is a pressed steel frame, not cast alloy. That being said, this was once part of their premier line so can't be at all shabby. IMO the Leak woofer is far superior to the mid and tweeter. My advice is get the woofer repaired and bin the mid and tweeter.

This is timely as my wife was just hasseling me to get rid of these big boxes cluttering up the place. I know the shop in concord. How much was it for surround replacement? (would that include aligning so coils don't rub etc). Depending on cost I might choose to offer for sale to someone more adventuorus (or with more time) than me.. which would be a bit of a shame.

How much was it for surround replacement? (would that include aligning so coils don't rub etc).
IIRC it was around $100 per woofer. The roll surround is unusual. Gluing up the surround correctly involves centering the coil in the gap with shims anyway, so they should not rub after repair. Bear in mind that the woofer could have other issues if it has been abused, such as damaged rear suspension or, heat/overdrive damage to the coil or former.

Depending on cost I might choose to offer for sale to someone more adventuorus (or with more time) than me.. which would be a bit of a shame.
That would be a pity if the boxes are cosmetically good. Mine were in fantastic shape for nearly 50 year old boxes. Really good build quality for a domestic product. The joints are tight and the real veneer just needed a light oiling. Have a look at my recent post "Leak 600 sandwich project"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.