What do you think makes a speaker transparent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back to transparency

Transparency is a loaded word without a clear definition.

But I would start with Very Low Distortion.

Very low distortion contributes to an effortless response where the system doesn't feel pushed by any music.

A second item is fast transient response in the midrange and fast return to rest after sound(damping). Fast transient response in speakers in my opinion is the degree of innate inertia in the speaker cone to either keep moving after a signal has been given to it or to stop after a signal stops. This translates, again in my opinion, to A FEELING of effort by the speaker to making sounds, or complete lack of effort.

My personal experience is that all of these two areas are where a specific kind of line array(as well as magneplans and ribbons) tend to excell at elements which I call "transparency".

Zarathu

Speaker transparency

I'd have to agree that smooooth reponse curves, lack of distortion, lightweight cones and voice coils with small mh values, or the use of ribbons, enclosures with rounded edges and well practiced diffraction methods, and being as close to 100% "equal" response, spl, and distortion between the speaker pairs contribute to the "feeling" of transparency.
And then next week you get a head cold and all those "transparent" speakers make curch chimes sound like somebody pounding on a cork board!

Re: Back to transparency

Originally posted by Zarathu My personal experience is that all of these two areas are where a specific kind of line array(as well as magneplans and ribbons) tend to excell at elements which I call "transparency".

Zarathu [/B]

You left out electrostatics :)

Slightly OT but the best speakers in the world will still sound opaque as hell if they are too close to the walls.

You can have the best speaker in the world, But that would be all for nothing if you dont put them in a good sounding room and properly positioned them.

IMO, Resonance is the number one enemy of transparency, It could come from the cone, basket or the box.

If I were to build a speaker, I'll make sure I make the box very non resonant, In addition to chossing the best parts for my budget.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Andre Visser said:
I believe transparency must be viewed as a complete hi-fi system, including the room and positioning of speakers.

Indeed, but for the speaker as a unit in the system, very low resonances in drivers and construction, plus open back for not smearing the crucial first milliseconds, and avoidance of diffractions that perplex the impulse response tail and tax lobing with fine discontinuities, are the best methods to create a truly transparent speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.