longshot: anyone here built Dickason A851?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have this old booklet of speaker designs or kits using Audax drivers all by Vance Dickason and published by Audax.

All the designs in look kick-a**. The 2-way designs are still on the Audax website. The 3-way designs are hardcopy only.

The A851 looks great. It uses an AW025S1, HM130Z0, and HM210Z0. These drivers are still listed on the website, so they seem current, but I can't find a distributor that has both mid and woofer available, and none seem to list the tweeter.

Anybody have any insight? Know a super-distributor? Know of someone who modified these designs? Thanks.

AW025S1 $15.50usd each @ Madisound
http://www.madisound.com/audaxsale.html
Also AW025S1 $35.50usd each @ Zalytron

Also, on Solen's website, I read that HM130Z12 replaces the HM130Z0 and the HM210Z12 replaces the HM210Z0. I don't know what they mean by "replaces". Check the specs to see if they are a drop-in replacement.

HM210Z0 may still be available at
http://www.q-components.com/
for about $100usd. (they are in Canada)

I personnaly built a pair of of KSL9 based on the HM210Z0. This was a great mid/woofer but unfortunately, this design was widely inaccurate in terms of alignement and crossover :bigeyes: .

Disappointting :( Indeed, I implemented an acceptable version of this loudspeaker. TBC...

Anyway, the point is that the HM210Z0 seems out of production now. Being replaced by the HM210Z12 which have very different Thiele/small parameters, it's not a 'drop-in' replacement for the HM210Z0. Don't misunderstand me, the Z12 IS surely worth the look and could possibly give an excellent loudspeaker; just not in the same enclosure that would have accomodate a Z0.

Same for the HM130Z0: discontinued and replaced by the HM130Z10/12...

Leadbelly

I'd love to know how to get hold of a copy of the A851 design by Vance Dickason that you mentioned at the begining of this thread. I have aquired a pair of Audax HM210Z0 and HM130Z0 drive units and was looking for a good design that used them. Does the Vance design look interesting/good?

IPL acoustics sells both these drive units here in the UK but I expect you are looking for a supplier a little nearer home!

Rupert

Rupert Austin said:
Leadbelly

I'd love to know how to get hold of a copy of the A851 design by Vance Dickason that you mentioned at the begining of this thread.

I'll post them:

Moderators, there is no mention of copyright nor distribution/reproduction restrictions anywhere in the brochure I scanned these from.

Attachments

• a851p1.jpg
    a851p1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 346
Page 4:

I never attempted it because I thought the drivers were overpriced at the time, but now that Audax stock liquidation sales are starting to happen, who knows?

Also, there is another 3-way design named A841 which uses the TW025A1 + HM100G0 + HM210G0 in the same brochure if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• a851p4.jpg
    a851p4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 294
Thanks for posting those details.

Looks like a promising design. Not sure about the metal dome tweeter though. My only source is CD and I wonder whether its a good combo, not that I've ever tried one mind. I'll see if I can find any reviews of it or speakers that use it.

Might be able to swap it for a fabric one but how easy this is without upsetting everything I don't know. Cross over freq looks safe enough for most tweeters though.

Would it be a pain to blow up the crossover schematic, and cabinet dimensions, they are a bit small to read the text!

Thanks again

Rupert

Rupert Austin said:
Might be able to swap it for a fabric one but how easy this is without upsetting everything I don't know. Cross over freq looks safe enough for most tweeters though.

Would it be a pain to blow up the crossover schematic, and cabinet dimensions, they are a bit small to read the text!

Personally, I'd leave the design alone. If you feel that strongly about it, then probably the TW025A1 is best, that is the tweeter used in the A841 design I mentioned.

Xover:

Attachments

• a851xover.jpg
    a851xover.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 251
Having tried almost anything between 30 and 60 liters (1,06 and 2,12 cu. ft) and a 40 liters (1.40 cu. ft) box with two 1,75" X 6" ports seems to yield the best results out of my HM210Z0. Stuffing has large effect on my setup so this aspect is not no be neglected.

BTW the A851 have a woofer cavity of 39,39 liters which I think you can't go wrong with...

The idea I have presently is to couple the Z0 with an HM100Z0 and a 3/4" tweeter, but the HM130 is certainly a valid possibility but with an 1" tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.