Dynaudio S.25 DIY kit equlilivent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dynoaudio

Greetings Planet10. I'm a long time poster over at AudioAsylum and found this forum when I started to look into building my own Teres and speakers. I started a long thread over on the Analogue forum to build a costum Teres.

Yes, I did own an LP12 serial #41k, w/ Basik Plus and Grado Signature cart. I sold that 4 months ago to buy a NottingHam Interspace w/ Hyperspace platter. I sold that over the x-nas season because of finances. With my incometax returns I plan on building both speakers and turntable :)

No I don't have the Dynoaudio link. The speakers I wouldn't mind building would be something as good as them. Its either those or the ProAc 2.5 clones. Not sure which would be better. I don't suppose the Paradox 1's would be equlilivent.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Dynoaudio

StylinLP said:
I did own an LP12 serial #41k, w/ Basik Plus and Grado Signature cart.

I think you bought that from me :)

No I don't have the Dynoaudio link. The speakers I wouldn't mind building would be something as good as them. Its either those or the ProAc 2.5 clones. Not sure which would be better. I don't suppose the Paradox 1's would be equlilivent.

The ProAc clones get good press here by anyone who has built them. Not the kind of direction i usually go thou... i'm more out on the fringes.

dave

special 25 website

If you mean the Special 25 model of Dynaudio its on the dynaudio website e.g. here :

http://dynaudiousa.com/products/contour/spec25/s25.htm

I don´t think its based on earlier released drivers, so looking on the market fore unit´s may not help either.

nice tweeter still., and not so bulky as the T330 :bigeyes:

Attachments

• newesotar.jpg
    newesotar.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 497
Linn LP12

Hey. I enjoyed your LP12 for over a year here in Phoenix. I wanted to upgrade but $500 for cirkus kit and another $500 on Ittok II arm thats really rare to find made me decide to just sell the table and buy another. That Lp12 sure was a pleasure to enjoy all that time! I was going to just buy another newer LP12 with Ittok II allready installed. But couldnt find a good deal so went with the NottingHam Interspace. Great table :)

I know this thread is ancient history by now. But I still want to chime in, all the same.

Currently I own a pair of pretty battered Special Twenty Five's. The drivers and electronics are pristine, but the cabinets are in bad shape. I really, really enjoy these speakers, so I'm going to clone them, to make them as new again and so they will last another decade or so, at least. I am in the final stages of drawing the cabinets and I've located a carpenter who's going to make a wood kit for me.

Although it's near impossible to get the original drivers, you should be able to get close to original performance when you use the MW175 and Esotar2-110, both originally targeted for the automotive market. Also, I think it might work with the t330d tweeter. You'll have to come up with a good cross-over yourself, though...

If anyone is interested in the drawings, please PM me. They're made with SketchUp.

James

I know this thread is ancient history by now. But I still want to chime in, all the same.

Currently I own a pair of pretty battered Special Twenty Five's. The drivers and electronics are pristine, but the cabinets are in bad shape. I really, really enjoy these speakers, so I'm going to clone them, to make them as new again and so they will last another decade or so, at least. I am in the final stages of drawing the cabinets and I've located a carpenter who's going to make a wood kit for me.

Although it's near impossible to get the original drivers, you should be able to get close to original performance when you use the MW175 and Esotar2-110, both originally targeted for the automotive market. Also, I think it might work with the t330d tweeter. You'll have to come up with a good cross-over yourself, though...

If anyone is interested in the drawings, please PM me. They're made with SketchUp.

James
That should be MW172, ofcourse.

No. Why? Want to see if there are other close matches to be found? Would be nice, since shortly I'll have to surplus (original!) boxes.
I although I think, looking at the frequency response curve and sensitivity, the MW172 looks like it could be a good candidate.

Last edited:
Why? Because the original S25's woofer is a 4 ohm unit and
I would like to see how much it matches the automotive version,
MW 170 or MW 172. As I said, curiosity. MW's have Vas of about
30 lit and Qts in the range of 0,5. This kind of a driver would suit
better a larger vented box than S25 is. At least, that is my opinion,
and I'm known to be a fan of lowering the woofer's F3/F6/F10
response if possible without making to much of a compromise.

There's no doubt that you know a lot more about filters, drivers, it's parameters and how all of that relate to it's performance than I do. I noticed the MW172 spec sheet gave a frequency plot measured in an 18ltr cabinet (don't know whether ported or sealed). That's about the size of the S25. Also, it's usable frequency response is supposed to extended all the way to about 3.5kHz. The special 25 crosses at 2.4k, 1st order. Seems to be "ball park" ok.

But, like I said, you know way more than me about this stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.