which loudspeaker design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello polkymon,
I like your speaker DIY,
Can you send to me the constructions pics of your speakers
Thank you so much
mail: bui.nguyen.anh@gmail.com

polkymon said:
I designed this speaker using Aurum Cantus 8" woofer and 5 1/4 " drivers both carbon fiber. Tweeter is an Usher 9950-20.

My best sounding speaker so far, it achieves what you are looking for.

The cabinet is tapered front to rear and is canted 5 degrees rearward. I have a few construction pics along with crossover details and would be glad to help with any other info if you're interested.

stage ... 3?

If anyone still remember my line arry project, here's some news! The "bass feet" are finished and installed!

As you can see in the pictures, I still use a single dome tweeter, temporarily mounted in the top of the array (not the best placement, I know).

The sealed bass cabinets are made out of very heavy duty glass fibre/epoxy tubes and pine woodboards. The 8" MGR woofers (MGR F-2008W) face downwards.

The speakers are "tri-amped", and a dcx2496 is used for filtering and level adjustments.

Despite all their questionable design solutions, I must say I'm very very satisfied with their sound so far!

Next stage will be the tweeters. Either DIY magnetostatic ribbons, or arrays of dome tweeters. I haven't decided... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• array01.jpg
    array01.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 258
Tweeters!

One and a half hear later, I have taken another step in this project! :)

I was on my way with the magnetostatic ribbons, and even got the magnets, but yesterday I just couldn't help myself from buying a box of 200 tweeters from PE! :
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-810

I know this is a bit of a faulty choice, but stubborn as I am, I will still give it a try. These little tweeters have an FS of 4200 Hz which is too high for my 83mm C-C midwoofer spacing.
Any advice on how I should deal with this? What will be worse, running the tweeters down to below Fs or running the midwoofers up to over comb-filtering freqencies? (I will of course try both settings on the filter, but a theoretical discussion is always interesting)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
200 tweeters at 10USD :hot:

Not sure what to say about the 4khz Fs
But I would try to sort out how many really works, and try and find the best sounding

Sell the individually as super tweeters, 1USD ea ;)
And start building that linesource ribbon

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.