MTTM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yoda, Have you thought of this. Why not use the MTM configuration facing to the front, and using the second Tweeter facing outward so as to radiate against the wall. I would think that this would give greater depth and presence. I have just purchased several Bose cone tweeters from E-Bay that are 4 ohm each. They have a threaded screw hole in the back and with attachments, can be turned to face the desired direction. This is one of the things that helped make Mr. Bose famous. This way things could be easier to do with a crossover than trying three woofers, since you will run into the Parallel/Series problem. If you have a good crossover program, like X-Over by Harris Tech, plugging in the necessary values will make it relatively easy to plan. What do you think? John L

BOSE used to make 2 or 3 good speaker models. Sadly, the company's efforts have shifted to maximum profits without any R&D :mad: Its Professional Audio division has gathered more attention from the company's engineering department in recent years... and the Consumer Audio department is now, it would seem, run by the marketing department. This has given BOSE's classic and only good speaker models the burden of carrying the company's name -- every consumer now dismisses everything that has to do with BOSE; you'd hear remarks such as the one given by Yoda.

Bose?

I guess that I will have to say something else. My use of the word Bose has nothing to do with the subject that Yoda origionally brought up. It was how to use a WTWTW system. I am not even a Bose fan, but I am aware of the fact that for many years the older models used tweeters that could be turned into the walls for greater depth. The problem that I am finding out about these forums is that many forget that the threads are based on a subject that needs discussing. If the subject is to change, such as whether or not Bose Blows, shouldn't that start a new thread? Maby I duth protest too much. Who knows. The only point is, that I personally don't care about Bose, but I do care about the artful use of multiple tweeters and how to apply them in a multi-driver system. Now, I've said enough! John L.

I myself listen to a BOSE 4.1 speaker everyday, it is in my bedroom system. In fact I listen to them because they do have unusually wide high frequency dispersion, a characteristic not found in most other types of speakers that is quite desireable for some. My little comment was referring to the fact that although I listen to them everyday, musically speaking they pale in comparison with my other set of speakers, a ribbon tweeter/6.5" woofer bookshelf monitor type. I never inteded to debate the quality of BOSE speakers, it was just an aside comment. I must say I've never heard of a DIY'er using BOSE tweeters, so best of luck to you!

I've never heard of a cone tweeter being used for modern day hifi. They were replaced by dome tweeters years ago, and for several good reasons, I might add.

Just out of curiosity, how many of these tweeters do you have? If you have several, I'd be curious to know how they might work in a line array speaker, with their already wide-dispersion characteristics.

As for the multiple tweeters thing, how many do you plan to use in each channel? Also, do we really want to create more room reflections? I have spent a great deal of time trying to minimize room reflections by using planar tweeters and open-backed woofers before, so the idea of purposefully creating room interactions seems a bit risky to me. You might have to treat the room more, especially where the tweeters hit directly, maybe removing obstructions between the tweeter and the wall might help. Maybe a vertical line source with its more vertical directionality will suit you better, or maybe not. It really depends on how many tweeters you are using.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.