Car Components in Home Speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Originally posted by sreten ...IMO a 60L reflexed box means you do not understand what you are doing..its very big when around 10L will do.

What can I say?
The topic was if the driver could be put in a box and used for home audio. The driver in question is better suited for automotive use, but is not completely unsuitable for home use. My opinion (and others), for a high Qts driver, is to make use of the peaked low end by mounting in an open backed box. Barring that, if more bass response is expected, a 60 litre vented box would be the second best use for a driver with these T/S specs . The trade-off would be peaked response (~3 dB) around 30 Hz.
10 litres will not do for this driver - it's Qts is too high.
Long and short is that I do understand what I'm doing.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I say open back - open baffle and use his sub, if he feels he needs it. Probably will.

Super easy to do and should sound pretty good. Why worry?

One thing to remember (and odd that no one has mentioned it) is that those drivers in a car benefit from cabin gain. The small space of the car makes them sound louder and fuller. You won't get that at home, unless you have a tiny house.

I appreciate everyone's advice. For the sake of simplicity, and seeing as this is my first go around, I think I'll give the open backed box a try. I've got a Seas Lotus 12 inch sub from the car as well I think I'll try to turn into a sub, and see how that set-up works for a smaller strictly stereo system.

These might be more obvious questions but I'm just going to use MDF, but as far as glue goes are there any specific types to stay away from/use?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Stewart8989 said:

These might be more obvious questions but I'm just going to use MDF, but as far as glue goes are there any specific types to stay away from/use?

Hi. For MDF use either yellow carpenters glue or white PVA glue. Also good, but slow drying, is polyurethane wood glue. These will make joints that are actually stronger than the surrounding wood (or MDF).
Good luck with your project.:)

Stewart8989 said:
I appreciate everyone's advice. For the sake of simplicity, and seeing as this is my first go around, I think I'll give the open backed box a try. I've got a Seas Lotus 12 inch sub from the car as well I think I'll try to turn into a sub, and see how that set-up works for a smaller strictly stereo system.

Hi,

Try doing some research on open baffles and folded open baffles.
You will find the modes of an open backed box are not helpful.

Linkwitz is the expert, see H baffles. Also stuff on U baffles, John K.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/John1.html

Folded baffle measurements :

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/OBS.htm

:)/sreten.

Slamdunk said:
im new at this setup also but my diy amp can run my speakers and subs... but my problem is speakers, my friend said that putting a box will lose the mid range quality , if i dont put the box i lose the base.. so whats the way to go make it bigger or just dont put a box and make it expose?

Slamdunk said:
streten: if without a box, the low and base will not be that strong but i have a subs will that be okay?.. what does low do? isnt mid much more important than low and if i have a subswoofer wont that be the replacement of the base?

Slamdunk said:
which of this will do for boxless:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Slamdunk said:

so your saying that the sides should be box also but the back portion is open? do you have a picture on what you did? thanks

Slamdunk said:
how about if its expose no box? will that sound good?

Hi SD,

I'll try and answer your questions if you put them in another
thread and describe the context of the questions.
Within this thread its somewhat confusing.

MJL21193 said:
a 60 litre vented box would be the second best use for a driver with these T/S specs . The trade-off would be peaked response (~3 dB) around 30 Hz.
10 litres will not do for this driver - it's Qts is too high ....

Hi,

You say a 60L vented box is second best, I say it will sound awful ....
A 10L box combined with a AV amplifier bass filter is very workable,
this means of course you also need a subwoofer.

We have different opinions and approaches, fine, this is a forum.

I have to agree with Sreten. The speaker suspension is expecting to work into a tighter airspace. Whilst in theory high Qts low Vas, and low Qts high Vas look the same result on paper, in reality they sound different.

60 litres is considered a pretty large box in this country, not to mention plain daft size for a small driver. If the project were more permenant then I would say don't limit yourself by using such inappropriate drivers. But if it's just a quick play project then think of it as a useful exercise in how not to do things.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
richie00boy said:

60 litres is considered a pretty large box in this country, not to mention plain daft size for a small driver... But if it's just a quick play project then think of it as a useful exercise in how not to do things.

richie00boy: Daft size...have you ever looked at any MLTL fullrange speakers lately? A quick play project? A useful excercise in how not to do things? How are your speakers built, and how do they measure? The snobbery is showing through here, and you should put your money where your mouth is.
Post your speaker building efforts for an example of the right way to do things, that we all might be instructed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
sreten said:

Hi,

You say a 60L vented box is second best, I say it will sound awful ....
A 10L box combined with a AV amplifier bass filter is very workable,
this means of course you also need a subwoofer.

We have different opinions and approaches, fine, this is a forum.

I don't know if awful is an appropriate description - a slightly flabby bass, yes, bass response would be the weakest aspect.
10 litre sealed box would tighten the bass by removing it altogether and provides less bottom end than the open back allignment.

Snobbery?!! Merely just trying to help somebody, having already spent years messing about with stuff like this, and making plenty of mistakes.

As for pictures of speakers, don't really have any to hand, and don't feel the need to photograph every rough and ready experiment. Suffice to say that with 10+ years experience I have tried a lot of things, and learnt even more.

If you're happy building a box the size of a coffin yet only getting the sound of an old radio cabinet, that's great I'm happy for you.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
richie00boy said:
Merely just trying to help somebody, having already spent years messing about with stuff like this, and making plenty of mistakes.

As for pictures of speakers, don't really have any to hand, and don't feel the need to photograph every rough and ready experiment. Suffice to say that with 10+ years experience I have tried a lot of things, and learnt even more.

If you're happy building a box the size of a coffin yet only getting the sound of an old radio cabinet, that's great I'm happy for you.

You are helping with uninformed advise - you don't know what the speaker will sound like. I can guess, having done similar things before. The fact is, the results might fill all of his expectations.

After 10+ years you have no finished speaker projects worthy of photographing? They are all rough and ready experiments?

I build speaker of the appropriate size for the drivers and my objectives. The last speaker that I built that was "coffin sized" was 26 years ago, when I was 15. Besides, how is 2 cubic feet coffin sized?

MJL21193 said:
You are helping with uninformed advise - you don't know what the speaker will sound like. I can guess, having done similar things before. The fact is, the results might fill all of his expectations.

My advice is the opposite of uninformed, do you think for all the years I never made such a speaker? It's fair to say both of us cannot really hand on heart say what it will sound like, as neither of us have the exact speaker to hand.

MJL21193 said:
After 10+ years you have no finished speaker projects worthy of photographing? They are all rough and ready experiments?

You are twisting my words to mean something entirely different.

MJL21193 said:
I build speaker of the appropriate size for the drivers and my objectives. The last speaker that I built that was "coffin sized" was 26 years ago, when I was 15. Besides, how is 2 cubic feet coffin sized?

I too build speakers of an appropriate size. 2 cubic feet is not an appropriate size for a 6.5 inch driver. You could fit a 10 inch in that, with all the attendant benefits to F3 and SPL. Besides, he asked for a small box design.

This is becoming personal, like another recent thread :rolleyes: I suggest it stops here and we leave the builder to decide for himself on the given viewpoints.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.