Is this a stupid idea? FR125s with 12"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just thinking too much as usual, and wondering how a CSS FR125s would go with a 12inch woofer in a triangle-baffle shaped cabinet. Needs to go pretty loud. Would the FR125s keep up with the 12" at highish spl given that it would be high passed? I keep hearing how nice these fullrangers are and I would love to try some, but I generally listen quite loud and to music with lots of bass content.
Feel free to tell me it's a stupid idea.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Its not a good idea at all to mate a FR125 with a 12"

FR125 is far too inefficient and cant play loud at all
it might help with a highpass filter, and get the midrange up a bit, but I dont think it will be sufficient - you will be low on midrange

If you want to play loud, then a widerange that will do that, might still be in need of a supertweeter

Maybe something like this one

http://professional.celestion.com/pro/products/tf/detail.asp?ID=1

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I think you say something like .... "no free lunch" or maybe ... "you cant have it all" ... or .." have your cake and eat it too"

Here we say ... " the trees dont grow into heaven"... or .. "you cant blow and have flour in your mouth"

:bawling:

I think the FR125 is somewhat overrated - well its damm fine at low levels fore sure, but I would never push it hard and expect it to "rock and roll" at loud levels

It has been said that there is no substitute fore high sensitivity

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
At some time I thought about using multiple FR125, but it gets rather expencive - and after I have listened to one, I dont think its worth the effort

edit ... I guess its a matter of distortion figures and how much power the driver can take

But I might make an experiment and make a highpass filter fore my FR125... and give it a listen

edit .... this new little 88db "fellow" might be interesting, and cost is only 11 EUR

http://www.visaton.de/de/chassis_zubehoer/breitband/frs8m_8.html

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well well, ... experiment done

I played my FR125 through a 47uf series cap

I managed to play at full "speed", at it barely reaches normal(low) listening level, and distortion rises significantly - and despite the series cap, it still moved a lot

Sorry, but I think this driver is a mistake - well, maybe its ok fore the kitchen, computers etc.

But I think it should be reworked/modified into a pure midrange with less Xmax and better sensitivity ... that might work nice

But ofcourse I compare with my own 3way speakers, which is considered among the very best :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.