How to beat Proac Studio 140 with DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For some time I have known that Proac Studio 125, 130 and now 140 is a perfect speaker for me. I tried reaching it with Proac Clone, but it fell short.

Is there anything amongst DIY projects out there that can beat Studio 140, while retaining all it's good aspects? I am looking for people that actually heard any of the Studios, and built or heard something better in DIY world.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Actually, it was after listening to the Studio 125 at my local dealer, in a room similar in size to my living room (6x9m), that I was motivated to build my first DIY speaker, the Response 2.5 clone. Though I felt that the treble didn't sound right, particularly notable on piano (I'm a pianist) and so I built Troels Gravesen 2.95 "clone" based on his description of subjective findings in his .pdf paper.

This is SS8535/SS9500 2-way, crossed at 3Khz ~LR4 acoustic, in Response 2.5 looka like cabinet) and it surely surpassed my expectations. It is easily the equivalent or better than a ProAc Studio 125 that I heard at my dealer.

With your clone, made you feel that "it fell short" ?

[edit]

It seems we have gone through this already, and now going around and around in circles:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69229&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1

To be honest I don't know what to add, or what went wrong with your build. My build sounded very similar to Al M. original clone (except slightly different treble) and very similar to the Studio 125. I even had two friends with me when we listened to Al M's clone. They agreed- "Let's build it- it sounds just like that other speaker we heard in the hifi shop" (referring to the Studio 125)

I had both Studio 125 and ProAclone side by side for some time. It was quite obvious that resolution. detail and imaging in Studio 125 were better. ProAclone sounded quite good - until I switched Studio 125 on. Studio just did everything a bit better. I don't think I made any mistakes anywhere. When I looked inside Studio 125, dissapointment grew more - cheap parts all over the place.

I sold Studio 125 anyway because it could be sold more easily. I am quite happy with the clones now that reference has gone:) Could it be because it took really long time to burn in drivers, or I simply got used to them.

I did not try 2.95, everybody says it's better than 2.5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.