Speaker impedance question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I've just picked up a pair of Wharfedale Glendale 3XP. They have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. I have an EL34 PP tube amp with taps for both 4 and 8 ohms, but not for 6. I've done a bit of reading, but want to make sure I don't blow up my amplifier before connecting them!

As I understand it, I could connect them to the 8 ohm taps, but would be losing out a bit on the sound, but connecting to the 4 ohm taps would overwork the tubes and is bad news. Long-term, I think I should solder in a couple of 2 ohm resistors, but again, being new to all this, not really sure.

My speaker's stats are below:

Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
Max input 40 watts
Sensitivity 86Db

Thanks for the help

Posted by theskintman :

"I could connect them to the 8 ohm taps, but would be losing out a bit on the sound, but connecting to the 4 ohm taps would overwork the tubes"

I think it works the other way around, go with the 4 ohm tap. You might think that you lose a little bit of max power output, but speaker is not resistive, so at some frequency the amp is dissipating more than the impedance looks. also as a bonus you might get lower distortion as well, since the tube see a lighter load compared to 8 ohm tap connection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.