Mini Computer Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2007, 07:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mini Computer Speakers

These are some small computer speakers to send with my gf this summer to spain. The drivers are Tangband 1" "Full range" drivers. I have a lot of 3/4" mdf, so I used it for the enclosures and amp shell. Front of amp will probably be 1/8" lexan. Power comes from the ApexJr JBl 12 amp. They're going to be painted with auto paint, maybe blue. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th May 2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

You will likely have to stuff the inside a little to prevent ringing.. I tried a similar concept once... lol, ended stuffing the hole with toiletpaper... was all I had, but it worked...
Old 12th May 2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Those are going to look great when you get them painted. They look pretty good now. Very solid!

Did you do the roundovers with a router?
Old 12th May 2007, 10:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
You will likely have to stuff the inside a little to prevent ringing.. I tried a similar concept once... lol, ended stuffing the hole with toiletpaper... was all I had, but it worked...
I was planning on lining the sides with adhesive furniture feet felt, but should I add poly too?

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac
Did you do the roundovers with a router?
Roundovers on the speakers were done on a table shaper, on the amp box I used a router.
Old 12th May 2007, 10:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Stuffing teh enclosure for those is critical. I would experiment a bit. Wire the driver up and listen to music while putting your thumb over the vent, cupping it in your palm, etc. It makes a big difference.

Very cute. I'd like to see them when they're finished.
Old 13th May 2007, 06:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by augerpro
Stuffing teh enclosure for those is critical. I would experiment a bit. Wire the driver up and listen to music while putting your thumb over the vent, cupping it in your palm, etc. It makes a big difference.

Now I'm confused. The speaker boxes are sealed cubes.

I did find knobs thought. I like them. Everything about this set just says "chunky"

Old 13th May 2007, 06:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I meant do my above comment just to get idea for how much the sound changes on these little speakers.

In the enclosures you built I would not only line the walls but use some stuffing and see what sounds best.

Clear as mud?
Old 15th May 2007, 04:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, I reached a stopping point on the face/back. The screw holes came out really good, but I'm not really happy with the back. I would feel the same about the front, but as of now all of my cuts are covered up. I may try to find someone with a small cnc machine since companies charge way too much for custom fabrication. I countersunk the holes and cleaned up the cutouts up to 1500 grit.

My PE order shipped today so the cables should be in sometime this week. In the meantime I will be getting them ready for paint. Cleaning up the sides cut away a good bit of the roundover again, so I may pass over it with the router again or I may just hand snad. There are some spots that could use some bondo as well.

I am having trouble trying to figure out the polarity of the outputs on the amp. I have one that is wired to a 3.5mm plug and another that is just a 2-prong plug. I need to find out, first, how which is which on the plug, and secondly, how the left output is wired to the 3.5 plug (tip, middle, sleeve) so I can wire up the right 3.5 plug that I added. Is there any way to do this with a dmm or a pair of other speakers? Is there a way to create a file of a one-way "pop" so that I can maybe check the phase?

Oh well, time will tell. Here are new pix. I testfit everything and it all seems to fit well.

Old 15th May 2007, 06:46 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

those are too cute... you need to make sure you trim back, open up the back of the driver cutout so that it isn't playing into a tunnel.

dave
Old 1st August 2007, 07:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well after a (long) while the speakers have finally been painted. I believe the color is called blue onyx and is an oem color for nissans. One had a sizeable bubble on the front, so it's getting knocked down and recleared tomorrow. They definately have their imperfections, but I love the way the paint looks. Plus they're very photogenic.

There are a few runs, mainly along the edges and around the cutouts, but I really like them. The blue matches the silver cones nicely.

Well, onto pics. I'm busy reassembling as we speak, but I won't have them running quite yet as I still need to figure out the polarity of the 3mm cables and outputs.

Well, enough talk, onto pics.. (everyone loves pics)

Hide this!Advertise here!