Mini Computer Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are some small computer speakers to send with my gf this summer to spain. The drivers are Tangband 1" "Full range" drivers. I have a lot of 3/4" mdf, so I used it for the enclosures and amp shell. Front of amp will probably be 1/8" lexan. Power comes from the ApexJr JBl 12 amp. They're going to be painted with auto paint, maybe blue. Any thoughts, suggestions?

spkrs015-1.jpg

spkrs.jpg

spkrs023.jpg

spkrs029.jpg

cruiseparknewcamera538.jpg

0.jpg

Nordic said:
You will likely have to stuff the inside a little to prevent ringing.. I tried a similar concept once... lol, ended stuffing the hole with toiletpaper... was all I had, but it worked...

I was planning on lining the sides with adhesive furniture feet felt, but should I add poly too?

panomaniac said:
Did you do the roundovers with a router?

Roundovers on the speakers were done on a table shaper, on the amp box I used a router.

augerpro said:
Stuffing teh enclosure for those is critical. I would experiment a bit. Wire the driver up and listen to music while putting your thumb over the vent, cupping it in your palm, etc. It makes a big difference.

Now I'm confused. The speaker boxes are sealed cubes.

I did find knobs thought. I like them. Everything about this set just says "chunky"

0002.jpg

Well, I reached a stopping point on the face/back. The screw holes came out really good, but I'm not really happy with the back. I would feel the same about the front, but as of now all of my cuts are covered up. I may try to find someone with a small cnc machine since companies charge way too much for custom fabrication. I countersunk the holes and cleaned up the cutouts up to 1500 grit.

My PE order shipped today so the cables should be in sometime this week. In the meantime I will be getting them ready for paint. Cleaning up the sides cut away a good bit of the roundover again, so I may pass over it with the router again or I may just hand snad. There are some spots that could use some bondo as well.

I am having trouble trying to figure out the polarity of the outputs on the amp. I have one that is wired to a 3.5mm plug and another that is just a 2-prong plug. I need to find out, first, how which is which on the plug, and secondly, how the left output is wired to the 3.5 plug (tip, middle, sleeve) so I can wire up the right 3.5 plug that I added. Is there any way to do this with a dmm or a pair of other speakers? Is there a way to create a file of a one-way "pop" so that I can maybe check the phase?

Oh well, time will tell. Here are new pix. I testfit everything and it all seems to fit well.

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0012.jpg

Well after a (long) while the speakers have finally been painted. I believe the color is called blue onyx and is an oem color for nissans. One had a sizeable bubble on the front, so it's getting knocked down and recleared tomorrow. They definately have their imperfections, but I love the way the paint looks. Plus they're very photogenic. :)

There are a few runs, mainly along the edges and around the cutouts, but I really like them. The blue matches the silver cones nicely.

Well, onto pics. I'm busy reassembling as we speak, but I won't have them running quite yet as I still need to figure out the polarity of the 3mm cables and outputs.

Well, enough talk, onto pics.. (everyone loves pics)

untitled2.jpg

0699.jpg

PC sound..

Spud.. Cool lookin PC speakers, I would get a little goofy trying to work on such small things. On the issue of polarity, if your ever not sure if both sides (Of any speaker) are"in" phase with each other...put said speakers side to side or in a "V" to each other, turn up the bass content & listen for the cancellation effect as one driver "draws" the bass from the other.....with the bass content being the highest with only one speaker running (if out of phase). Highest with both running...in phase.
Your system looks like it will run just fine.....I myself would go back to PE & look for a 'micro' subwoofer to round it out.
___________________________________Rick.........
Still trying to upload my avatar!

Attachments

11.4 KB · Views: 1,235
Well I finally have (one of) them running. Sound is a little bright, and orignally had some distortion but I managed to seal them up a little better. I may try to figure out a crossover fro them eventually, but I'll let them break in for a while before I even start to think about that.

The one with the drip is still waiting to be recleared, so I have one runnig freeair so I can better determine how hot the heatsink gets running both speakers. I really like the power available though, and how loud they can get with much distortion. They really managed to clean up my deskspace though...

From ew:
0-2.jpg

To yay!
0017-1.jpg

I can't wait to get the second enclosure back. I'm excited to play with them as a pair.

Hooray for completion (finally). The second enclosure had to be repainted since he cut the clear down to primer when fixing the drip. The left one is a little darker since he had to tint a different color, but I think they look great.

0036.jpg

Along with my new (essentially) free 17" lcd monitor. A friend had it laying around (broken) and i replaced the burnt out cathodes. Now I'm just waiting on a dualhead graphics card and a power brick to run it.

0039.jpg

The terminals on the damn things are reeeally in the way of mounting... plus the flange has a gap, so mounting them on the front would probably result in ugly puckering in the metal around the screw. So I'm thinking about mounting these inside the enclosure from behind (maybe rabbeted 3/8") then wiring, run the wire through the back panel, line, stuff, and then attach the back. Then sand/finish the box with the driver masked...hopefully avoiding damage.

How will having them recessed affect the sound? I imagine off-axis response will suffer some, but they'll pointed at the listener about 2 ft away.

Also, any tips on rear-mounting drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.