Opinions on a Summer Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of building some speakers, always got the itch to build :)

Hears what I'm looking at:

1 Eminence delta pro-12a
2 Eminence alpha 6
1 Aurum Cantus G3Si Ribbon Tweeter

The Delta pro-12a on the response graph goes out to ~5k but the 3 ft^3 cab plans, and normalized amplitude response, that Eminence supplies shows the high end rolling off at 500. I was going to cross it at 500 with 2 eminence 6" mid's. The 6"ers have ~92 db-spl, so I was thinking I'd have 2 to keep up with the 12" and tweeters 99 db-spl. And then the Ribbon for the 5k to 20k+ range.

I would give the 6's there own internal space with the tweeter.

Any comments on how this would work? Just a "Sitting at my computer while bored plan so my feelings won't get hurt if it sucks. Thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Here is a question

athos56 said:
When you look at the response listed in the driver spec's and then the one in the enclosure recommendations; the spec's response goes out to ~5k while the Hi-fi cab recommendation sheet shows the response rolling off at 500hz. Why? Am I reading that right? Would there really be little midrange? Thanks

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/deltapro-12a.pdf
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/cab-deltapro-12a.pdf

The second chart shows a 3dB drop at 1K, which is really exceptional for a 12". With that said, you'll want to cross below this. There is also mention of a 50Hz high pass to protect against over-excursion, therefore this driver gives nothin below 50 Hz. Not the most effective use of a 12" driver.
Might be an idea to look at one that has a higher Xmax, to reach down a bit further.

well, of course MJL, but then again:

"What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space. Particles are just schaumkommen (appearances). The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one perceived. Subject and object are only one. The barrier between them cannot be said to have broken down as a result of recent experience in the physical sciences, for this barrier does not exist. (Erwin Schrodinger, on Quantum Theory)"

:D :D

But!

Glass is a liquid. Given enough time a "plain" glass window will pool. That mythbusters was great!

So I'm still thinking a Delta pro-12a, and then a pair of Alpha-6's (4 ohm version at Parts express so I can wire them for 8 ohms) and the Aurum Cantus G3Si, in a MTM arrangement.

Delta to 500hz, without the 50hz highpass protection, I'm putting 50W max into these.

Alpha's from 500hz to 3.5k - Maybe they won't sound that bad. Plus I got the eminence suggested enclosure size so less thinking

Aurum Cantus G3Si fom 3.5k to 20k+

If I used either the closed back 6" or 8" from eminence I could have the whole MTM open. But I haven't heard anything about them.

well athos56 (and sorry for the off topic), I was just trying to say that standard states-of-matter physics might not explain at all what we "seem" to perceive even though I just like to theorize on subjects like that, but one thing I generally don't do is to say for sure that This is That ...

regarding your subject ... maybe someone here could recommend another mid, as the alphas don't seem to be in the same "league", maybe beyma?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: But!

athos56 said:
Glass is a liquid. Given enough time a "plain" glass window will pool. That mythbusters was great!

So I'm still thinking a Delta pro-12a, and then a pair of Alpha-6's (4 ohm version at Parts express so I can wire them for 8 ohms) and the Aurum Cantus G3Si, in a MTM arrangement.

Delta to 500hz, without the 50hz highpass protection, I'm putting 50W max into these.

Do you have a time frame for pooling of plain glass? How many millions of years would this take? In tradional terms, for everyday use, glass is a solid. It takes heat to liquify it. Is steel also a liquid? Or gold? How about sand, from which glass is made?

As far as your speakers go, it sounds like you have as firm a grip on that as your understanding of the three states of matter.;)
Goodluck.

Back in school we learned this same thing about glass. We were shown windows from houses built around 1900 and they were indeed thicker at the bottom and kind of wavy.

Back on topic. What about the Beta 8? Not sure if they make a six though... music is in the mid as they say, but you seem to be spending all the money on the woofer and tweeter. As someone mentioned maybe something in the same league. Good PA mids are harder to find then woofers it seems

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
augerpro said:
Back in school we learned this same thing about glass. We were shown windows from houses built around 1900 and they were indeed thicker at the bottom and kind of wavy.

Quote from:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

"It is sometimes said that glass in very old churches is thicker at the bottom than at the top because glass is a liquid, and so over several centuries it has flowed towards the bottom. This is not true. In Mediaeval times panes of glass were often made by the Crown glass process. A lump of molten glass was rolled, blown, expanded, flattened and finally spun into a disc before being cut into panes. The sheets were thicker towards the edge of the disc and were usually installed with the heavier side at the bottom. Other techniques of forming glass panes have been used but it is only the relatively recent float glass processes which have produced good quality flat sheets of glass."

OK

I guess your right my 6's are a lower quality :)
Well the BEYMA 6MI90 looks like a good fit, and I would only need one. Maybe MTW?

Also the Beyma 6B30/P is cheaper, I would need 2, MTMW
Also the Beyme 5G40ND, 2 again
And finally the 605Nd, I would need one but its ~150

Lots of options.

I wish my speaker knowledge was as good as my knowledge in states of matter...

Origins of this idea, surfing the net looking at drivers... Ohh that ones kinda cool, what would I put with that? And so on... I'm not that serious about crunching numbers but I do look at the data and "try" and muddle through it. I did alright with my 2a3 amp, sounds great, as well as my Beta 12cx's which after some tweeking sound great as well. This will be another step up maybe...

The other idea was a 15" and a 2" compression driver crossed somewhere between 20hz and 20k :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.